ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Whatever happened to... <INSERT DEADWARE HERE>

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
Software, like all things, comes with a half-life. I was about to say the same 'whatever happened' line about Copernic search when suddenly they come out with an update. Then I thought of Apple III and Zune. What other software/hardware either dropped off the planet or just stopped evolving?

gratuitous, off-topic graphic

J-Mac:
OK...  Whatever DID happen to Copernic??

I was using it when V.2 was released, but after having it installed for awhile it would stop working and I never could figure out why.  By "stop working" I mean that it would still index regularly and built up an immense index file, but at some point it would stop finding most files.  After it not finding a few things it should have I would enter some really easy searches and it failed every time.  Copernic doesn't really support the free version very enthusiastically, and would eventually say, "Try re-indexing", or "Try reinstalling".  Re-indexing never fixed anything. Reinstalling would get it working again but after a time (several  weeks or a couple of months - can't remember now exactly) it would get the same symptoms.

Is it possible that it has a maximum size and stops working if your index exceeds it?  (Google Desktop Search does exactly that.  Has a maximum size and when you hit it starts acting up terribly).

Thanks!

Jim

Lashiec:
I have a bunch of software sitting around that has not been updated in a long time: Locate (OK, there are beta versions, but I'd like to have a new stable version to play with), Universal Extractor, WinDirStat...

But the biggest letdown is Newzie, which has not see progress in months, and all the other projects around it are stalled as well. The program works really nice, but there are a few bugs that should be ironed out, and new features I'd like to be added. If it wasn't for its invaluable page monitoring function, I'd be using FeedDemon...

BTW, nice graphic :D

nosh:
... everything Symantec killed.  :(

Josh:
Oregon Trail and Kings Quest (VI in particular)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version