topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Inkscape  (Read 5935 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Inkscape
« on: March 19, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Anyone here using Inkscape ? -
if so, is that on Windows or Linux (or are there other options :-\)
any comments

I tried it a good while ago (1 and 1/2yrs ago maybe) and it was a challenge to use
was thinking of trying it again but this wasnt over encouraging (see below) although maybe encouraging me to move away from windows :)

Inkscape 0.46-pre3
March 7, 2008

Our third (and probably final) pre-release of Inkscape is available for download.

Unfortunately, we've found that the remainder of our release blocking bugs are Windows-specific issues, but there aren't enough Windows-based developers to solve them all. If you are comfortable programming C/C++ on Windows with Ming32 and are interested in helping ensure the Inkscape Windows port is as stable as on other platforms, we can sure use your help! Review our bug tracker for windows bug priorities and to submit patches. For more information on Inkscape development on Windows, see our Win32Port wiki page.

http://www.inkscape.org/
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Inkscape
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I tried Incscape a month ago on my unstable XP, but had a problem so serious that I removed Inscape within the same hour.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:02 AM »
I use it frequently on GNU/Linux. No problems as far as stability, but it seems it can do with some additional features / or integrate existing 'hidden' features better into the GUI.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 06:35 AM »
I've used previous versions of inkscape, and found it to be very good and easy to work with (once you go through the tutorials, of course).

I hope they won't stop developing it for windows :(

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44 AM »
So 0.46 final has been out for a while now, how does it run for you?
I've been using Inkscape for almost everything, but especially when I install a Linux app that doesn't have an icon associated (happens less and less nowadays, but sometimes...)
I've also begun creating a cursor set I can live with (IMHO, DMZ-White is just dang ugly...)
I'll post it when it's done.

P.S.-Runs fine on my XP box here at work :)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I've been using it a while and I can honestly say that there is no better vector editor  which comes free. Latest Windows release gave so many changes that I am still amazed. I've already infected with love to it 5 people ;)

Unfortunately, there is not so many tutorials for Inkscape so I have to translate Photoshop / Illustrator ones for my friends.
There are still couple of bugs in it but it is better than i.e. OpenOffice Draw a lot.

BTW SVG format offered by Inkscape is very good solution for further purposes (Synfig).

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41 PM »
For some reason the Wacom drivers do not work with latest versions of inkscape. I can not get pressure sensitivity work in Inkscape. Does anyone else have same problem

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I use the GNU/Linux version about 4-5 times a week and it's been fine for me. Like Gimp, it doesn't do everything, but it's far more than I need and I haven't missed CorelDRAW.