topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RecentX at Bits du Jor, 4-Jun-2008  (Read 5483 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RecentX at Bits du Jor, 4-Jun-2008
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:36 AM »
Just saw that RecentX, so recently available at Give Away of the Day, is available today at Bits du Jor for $9.95, a 51% discount from the retail price of $19.95.

Of course if you can't get it there today, the DonationCoder discount of 33% is still valid also.

Me?  I can perform a lot of the same tasks with Mouser's Find And Run Robot (FARR) here at DC!!   :)

Jim

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RecentX at Bits du Jor, 4-Jun-2008
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46 AM »
Me?  I can perform a lot of the same tasks with Mouser's Find And Run Robot (FARR) here at DC!!   :)

Jim
Yes, I'm with you on that! I was very compelled by the idea behind RecentX, but I didn't find myself using it. Even installed it a second time to give it another go a few months back, but no, not useful to me. Still a good idea and I'm sure it's great for many users, though.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:55 AM »
I had been using FARR for nothing but application launching.  Then after seeing RecentX and giving that a lot of thought I decided to see just how much more FARR could do.

Wow!  Finds folders and files as quickly as anything I've tried.  As long as I am still exploring all that FARR can do I won't use RecentX.  No sense having another app that I would only use for the same things I can do just fine with FARR.

Jim

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:10 AM »
speaking of FARR and recent files, is there a way to let FARR read the entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU ?

This is where a bunch of recent items is stored. My recent folder is pretty useless, since apparently it needs explorer running as shell, and I don't do that...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:55 PM »
I don't know, Tuck - haven't tried that.  But if I find out, I'll let you know.

Jim

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:16 AM »
Free recent files.

http://www.nirsoft.n...cent_files_view.html

From what I understand Recentx is not actually tracking files itself rather checking the registry. This is a minus to me because there are cases registry does not record opened files like video files if you use gom or kmp players.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Yes, nirsofts recent files utility is excellent! And it can produce lists through command line, so perhaps there's some way that FARR can read the output? At least when the new HTML-stuff is in place it should be possible.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Yes, nirsofts recent files utility is excellent! And it can produce lists through command line, so perhaps there's some way that FARR can read the output? At least when the new HTML-stuff is in place it should be possible.

That would be a great idea. And BTW, like some others, I found there's too much overlap between RecentX and farr to justify another expense.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Recentx is not a bad application at all. But it does not meet my own expectations. For example I want to be able to create a group and drag and drop files to group. Recentx has only live search based groups. Also it looks like it cannot detect all the opened files if application is using non standard gui. But history based document and application search can serve very well for many people.