topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opera and fancy AJAX sites: not much luck on my side of things...  (Read 7178 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Everyday, I get to a web 2.0 site (or any site using lots of technologies that are really pushing the browser) that doesn't work on opera.
Sometimes the flaw makes the site unusable; then it's easy to detect. Sometimes it's just a bit of functionality that is lacking; you may only notice if you navigate the same site with some other browser.

At the end of the day, I have to report the site in the forums, wait for a fix (heh), and open another browser. And update my mental list of sites that I need to use a different browser.

Google apps are part of catergory 2 (mostly works, but there's always something broken... which may be a show stopper or completely ignored).

Is everything google working so-so in opera, or just bad luck? Looks like people don't test against opera all the fancy AJAX stuff, and most web 2.0 sites that really push it work ok on opera only by accident... google apps included.

If this is the case, then firefly should be the solution... if it ever gets to the mainstream.

Is Opera cursed to be ignored, no matter how technically brilliant it may be?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My experience is that heavy AJAX sites are working better now than a few months ago, the difference in some of them is amazing. For example, Windows Live Mail went from working half-assed in the basic view to working decently in the standard view, which is nice as that's another site I don't have to use Firefox (OK, IE7 would be the better for this) with. The biggest offender always was Yahoo! Mail, but surprise, surprise, after months without using it, I give it another try a couple of weeks ago, and now WORKS, not up to the standards of Firefox or IE, but is completely usable. I'm very happy now, because that means I can check up mail directly from Miranda, without any hoops like before.

Google sites are a mixed bag, some of them work nicely, others, well... Google Notebook is mostly unusable, and Google Docs was as well months ago. GMail or Google Reader run damn fine, and Opera is going to add support for Google Gears, so when Opera 9.5 hits final, I'm sure Google sites will work at least.

In the case of another pages, it's again a hit or miss thing, Newspond works beautifully, but has layout problems, Digg works fine now despite the cocky attitude of the company (we won't support our new comment system on a niche browser!), etc. I think that things are going for the better in the future, and soon we won't have as many problems as before, Opera's rising market share, more strict standards compliancy on part of the competing browsers, especially Safari, and the Opera guys fixing things, all combined will make it happen.

EDIT: Weird, Google Writer works just fine. Google Spreadsheets on the other hand...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:55 PM by Lashiec »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is Opera cursed to be ignored, no matter how technically brilliant it may be?

I've been asking that same question for a decade . . .

I can't tell you how many times I've been told by support that they don't feel Opera users are a large enough demographic to invest their time in supporting Opera, always ending it with "Get firefox it's free" -- I find it downright insulting, some times.  What I'm curious about is just how inaccurate their usage statistics are, as a great number of Opera users have to mask as non-opera users in order to get passed browser sniffers or, in worse cases, actually use another browser -- not because they want to but because they have to.

As Lashiec said, though, it's not as bad as it used to be. And the sniffers that just automatically reject Opera users are becoming quite rare.

Remember the Milk is a shining example of a website that's built wholly on Ajax, and supports all browsers flawlessly. The exception being google gears, but that's no fault of their own (and, honestly, I've really never quite "got" the google gears appeal anyway).

Evernote 3 beta is almost unusable in Opera, plurk has quite a few issues.  Last time I used Basecamp's apps, their problems weren't too bad and I expect with Opera 9.5 they're gone.  Gmail has been hit or miss with Opera, but is working pretty well now though it seems to constantly lose keyboard focus, forcing me to resort to my mouse in order to be able to use my keyboard shortcuts again. (Vexing!)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is exactly why I have never fully adopted Opera.  I always have it to test my own sites against, but I am not overly fond of it.  It has some great features, but Firefox soon has them available through plugins if you find a feature you like.  The only true advantage Opera has in my opinion is speed.  Plugins slow firefox more, not speed it up.  That said, I don't generally find the few seconds difference matter much given the feature availability and customizability.  On the other hand, it is nice for an app to start as soon as you click on it...

BTW: urlwolf, add to your list of sites www.stillsecure.com.  I can never get that site to work right in Opera and they don't seem to care.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Speed, configurability ( you can make Opera "your own" moreso than firefox, despite addons) and (to me) most importantly keyboard configuration. Plus, Opera is the ONLY browser that supports MDI. I hate tabs.

Opera is the only browser I can configure to the point where I'm genuinely comfortable and "at home".

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BTW: urlwolf, add to your list of sites www.stillsecure.com.  I can never get that site to work right in Opera and they don't seem to care.

Uh, I don't see any particular problem with that site :huh:

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Allen, pardon my ignorance, but what does MDI stand for?

I like Opera, it's almost my default.
Perhaps 9.5 will help me make the definite step.
If there's one thing that i appreciate is the fact that the widgets are functional with any build (something that would be nice for Firefox extensions) but i don't find them that useful.
Speed is still in Opera's territory but Firefox3 is catching up (in fact i think it now has surpassed Opera).

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Uh, I don't see any particular problem with that site :huh:
Really?  Wonder what I don't have correctly configured then?  My problem with the stillsecure site is that I can't scroll on it at all.  Don't even get the bars.  Yet it is obvious there is more to read as the text and pictures get cut off half way through them on the bottom.

Ah, just doublechecked - it is http://cobia.stillsecure.com  I don't know why the Cobia site is so different, but it is.  Thanks for the correction though.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, i had no problems with your first link either steeladept.

I did and still do have problems visiting www.cbc.ca
Some script is giving it a hassle.

Update:
Did a search at Opera's forum and disabled javascript. Seems to be doing fine now.
http://my.opera.com/.../topic.dml?id=233319
 :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:59 PM by dantheman »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, i had no problems with your first link either steeladept.

I did and still do have problems visiting www.cbc.ca
Some script is giving it a hassle.

Update:
Did a search at Opera's forum and disabled javascript. Seems to be doing fine now.
http://my.opera.com/.../topic.dml?id=233319
 :Thmbsup:

That's weird.  I had no problem with cbc.ca.  Hmm..Maybe it is the javascript thing.  I will check now.

Nope, Java & Javascript are both enabled. 

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera and fancy AJAX sites: not much luck on my side of things...
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44 AM »
Steeladept,

According one of the quoted Opera posts, it probably depends on which version you're using,
"The CBC's comments work with Opera beta 9981. They don't work with the later 10005 or 10014 builds. Win 98SE."

I've been using the last two.
9.5 is supposed to be coming out soon, we'll see how that one fares.