ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

AGP 4x on 8x Mainboard

(1/2) > >>

icekin:
A friend recently left me his nice desktop, but its missing the video card. The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE775. According to the specs, its needs a 8X video card, but I have another 4x lying around.

Are the mainboards backward compatible?

ChalkTrauma:
I do believe they are.. I was in a similar situation and used a 4x card in an 8x system. But you have to be careful about voltages.. check out the compatibility notes here Accelerated Graphics Port

icekin:
I plugged in the 4X video card and got no output. I know the card works somewhat since I tested it on another system. I'm guessing the board is probably busted. Does anyone know if a 8x video card will work on a 4x slot (i.e. is the card backward compatible as well)?

steeladept:
AFAIK it is supposed to be.  AGP is supposed to be 100% compliant and the 'X' just identifies the bus size (read data throughput from what I have gathered).  That said, the key word is 'supposed' because I have heard of compatibility issues before.

lanux128:
Does anyone know if a 8x video card will work on a 4x slot (i.e. is the card backward compatible as well)?-icekin (June 02, 2008, 09:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

i have used an 8x card (nvidia) on a 2x board previously but i haven't tried the other way around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version