topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VERY impressed with dtSearch - application and sales  (Read 10204 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VERY impressed with dtSearch - application and sales
« on: June 02, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that my experience with dtSearch has been first rate. I contacted them about an academic discount and was very pleased with the result. Add to that that dtSearch is a phenomenal search engine and you've got two-thirds of a winning combination (can't comment on technical support yet..., though from what I can gather it is first-rate as well).

Thought this might be a nice way to counter-balance the other threads that I've started on this board, which have been whinging and moaning affairs...  :-[
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:42 PM by Darwin »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: VERY impressed with dtSearch - application and sales
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:55 PM »
 :o  at that price it would want to work well  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01 PM »
:o  at that price it would want to work well  ;D

Indeed!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Thanks for posting, Mike.
It's hands-on experiences such as these that help the rest of us in our decision making,
especially since nobody else on the planet has as much software as your good self.
(I always imagine your machine ending up like this)Darn.png

I, too, like dtSearch FWIW.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:51 PM »
Heh, heh - close, Chris! I have four notebooks, though... but they are all battle hardened and battle scarred!

What I like about dtSearch is how many search options there are and the fact that it's purely a fire it up and use it application - no scheduler, no auto-start feature on by default, etc. Thus, you index what you want and then update the resulting index/indices when you want. The initial indexing took on the order of 2.5 hours for 17 GB of data and updates run a "few" minutes (on the order of 2-6 minutes). Add to this the excellent previewing capabilities and it's a very robust search tool. I find it to be intermediate between Archivarius (still one of my faves - but dtSearch features superior Outlook PST scanning support and much, much better file previewing. Note, though that dtSearch is a 35MB download versus Archivarius' 3 MB and that Archivarius is overall the lightest of the three) and X1, which features hands-down the best previewing capabilities courtesy of its use of Stellent viewers but is prone to hanging and is head and shoulders above the other two in terms of resource hogging! Still, the latest version of X1 is much, much, much more stable than previous versions and is thus quite usable.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17 AM »
Thanks for the info Darwin, I might give dtSearch another try...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49 AM »
No Chris....

That's MY machine!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Armando - note that as far as I've been able to tell, dtSearch won't index the comments field in word docs (or docx) out of the box. I haven't yet discovered a setting to enable it, either. X1 is the same - hasn't indexed my Comments fields and I can't see how to make it do so. Archivarius, on the other hand, picks them up every time  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: X1 found the test comment that I had created after I posted this - doesn't actually show the comment field though, so it's a bit weird having a document highlighted without the word searched for evident in the preview...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:51 AM by Darwin »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:35 AM »
EDIT: X1 found the test comment that I had created after I posted this - doesn't actually show the comment field though, so it's a bit weird having a document highlighted without the word searched for evident in the preview...

Yes, I know, weird. There are also other weirdnesses in X1, but all in all, it's fast. I actually find it faster than Archivarius  for multiple terms searches (or complete phrases) -- especially the first search : subsequent searches are quicker, which is expected. Once archivarius has done its first search, it's actually almost as fast as X1.

Note that I haven't installed X1's last version. I didn't find the change log compelling. I might give it a try anyways. Shouldn't do anything bad, hopefully.