ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Take Command Console LE from JPSoft

(1/5) > >>

mwb1100:
For people who are command line junkies, you might want to look at a new offering from JPSoft (makers of Take Command, formerly known as 4NT or 4DOS).

Take Command is a replacement for cmd.exe with enhanced commands.  The LE version is a free version that excludes the GUI component (DOS box only) and excludes some of the more advanced commands (in particular the ability to access files over FTP or HTTP).  However, it's more or less what 4NT was prior to version 9 and has some very nice command line and batch file capabilities.

If you find yourself doing a lot at the Windows command line, it's worth checking out TCC LE:  http://www.jpsoft.com/tccledes.htm

cranioscopical:
It's a great freebie!

f0dder:
mwb1100: "dos box" -> "console window"... there's no DOS in NT :)

I used to use jpsoft's 4dos a lot back in the win9x days. Heck, on my 486 I didn't feel like running win95, so I used a manually stripped-down version (15-25meg install or so?) with "shell=4dos.com", just to get the better memory protection, multitasking and disk cache that win95 offered over plain MS DOS :P

It's a shame the windows console (not cmd.exe, the shell, but the actual console code) is so (relatively) limited on windows, and that fullscreen capabilities have been removed on Vista and XP64 :(

Anyway, cool freebie!

steeladept:
mwb1100: "dos box" -> "console window"... there's no DOS in NT :)
-f0dder (June 03, 2008, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Misread, perhaps?  mwb1100 did mention "what 4NT was prior to version 9".  If that is what you are talking about, that is quite different then NT4.  Just a thought anyway.

mwb1100:
No, I don't think misread.  "DOS box" is technically incorrect even if a common term for what is properly called a console window.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version