ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The 10 most annoying programs on the Internet

<< < (2/8) > >>

nosh:
I love Y! Messenger but Yahoo is by nature, intrusive. For example, the latest messenger beta released a few days back installs their toolbar (and makes other changes like setting your home page, IIRC) if you choose the default option, it's only if you choose to customize the install that you see what it was trying to slide past you. I also hate the fact that they've teamed up with Opera and try to push their way into their browsers (including Opera Mini)  in a way that's not easy/possible to change.

I don't know why she's picking on flash though, from what little I've seen of it, it seems like a really promising technology. Blaming flash for all the badly designed sites using it isn't really justified.   

There’s nothing wrong with Flash, provided you don’t use it to construct Web sites where people want to find information, navigate easily, or do anything beyond passively consume exactly what you choose to give them in exactly the way you’ve decided.
--- End quote ---
Not always true, I've seen some pretty decent sites that use flash for navigation.

Renegade:
Certainly funny and a good read, but like most "reviews," the author just doesn't get it and shows their lack of understanding of some of the things listed. I'll run with Adobe Reader (AR hereon in) for the moment...

Which is a shame, because other lightweight PDF readers seem to manage perfectly well.
--- End quote ---

Ummm... What part of "light weight" did they NOT understand?

AR is NOT just a simple reader. It's a platform for document control.

Let me quickly repeat that... PLATFORM!!!

Did you expect 274kb assembler program load times from a platform? Of course it's slower! But it also has a huge amount of functionality in it too that you don't get in the other "readers."

I'm done.

But all the update stuff and other junk really is annoying.

tamasd:
Of course it's slower! But it also has a huge amount of functionality in it too that you don't get in the other "readers."
-Renegade (June 02, 2008, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Functionality that 99% of users don't need nor care about nor really understand...explain that to someone who just wants "to read that pdf".
It's not that hard to significantly speed up AR, but again, a venture that most of the users will prefer not to go through.

Edvard:
AR is NOT just a simple reader. It's a platform for document control.

Let me quickly repeat that... PLATFORM!!!
--- End quote ---

So make Adobe quit calling it READER fer pete's sake.
While we're at it, let's have 3 Adobe pdf products:
Adobe Acrobat for the rich folks who want to make pdf's
Adobe Platform for those who need a platform for document control
Adobe Reader for us average folks who JUST WANT TO OPEN THE !@#$%^&* PDF FILE!!

Otherwise I agree with the rest of the article. Completeley.
But I must say, Realplayer on Linux is refreshingly sterile.  ;D

Veign:
#3 - I couldn't imagine the state of the mom and pop computers I come across if it wasn't for Windows Update.
#9 - I use Outlook and like having my email, tasks, appointments and contacts in a single application.
#10 - To mention Flash is not fair as Flash is an excellent platform for creating some ingenious things.

Agreed on all others especially #1 and #4...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version