Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 19, 2014, 04:30:48 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Annals of Self-Experiment - Seth Roberts is His Own Mouse  (Read 6874 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:11:26 PM »

This is a story from a site called Quantified Self (Tools for Knowing your Own Mind and Body).
I *love* this stuff.  More please.

I'm becoming a devoted fan of Seth Roberts, one of the great champion of self-experimentation. Roberts, an emeritus professor of psychology at UC Berkeley, has spent many year studying himself, and, even better, offering many practical clues about how to construct your own "experiments of one." I first found out about his work in the most obvious way: searching on "self-experimentation" in Google.

mouse.jpgThis lead me to Roberts paper: "Self-experimentation as a source of new ideas: Ten examples about sleep, mood, health, and weight." The problems he describes are so common, and his solutions so counter-intuitive, that you can't help being intrigued. One of the great things about reading Roberts is getting a feeling for how different self-experimentation is from other forms of self-knowledge. While Roberts often begins his experiments with a hypothesis, using his stock of common knowledge, suggestions from friends, and categories of analysis typical of a well-trained college professor, this first idea is usually proven, through experiment, to be wrong. Not superficial, or too narrow, or distorted by delusion or prejudice; simply incorrect, provably irrelevant. So then Roberts has to come up with new ideas. The data, expressed as charts, no longer merely test his hypotheses; the data becomes the source of his theories. And the theories bear the mark have having emerged from data. Often, they seem very, very odd.

from http://www.boingboing.net/

Direct link to Seth Roberts' PDF: http://repositories.cdlib.org/postprints/117/
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 02:18:16 AM »

hah Grin
I thought you meant he somehow became his own (computer) mouse &
was physically moving his body in order to move the arrow
...off to read...

Tom
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 02:23:12 AM »

LOL, Me too! 
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 02:24:48 AM »

hah Grin
I thought you meant he somehow became his own (computer) mouse &
was physically moving his body in order to move the arrow
...off to read...

Ditto. Good read though. Similarly, I don't eat breakfast until about lunchtime, because it makes me nauseous and sometimes dizzy. I don't wake up early though.

Interesting what you can find out about yourself, provided you have the time to dedicate to "test" changes on yourself.

New website! With a fancy domain name and everything! *gasp*
http://www.wreckedcarzz.com/
JennyB
Supporting Member

Test all things - hold fast to what is good

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »

This is a story from a site called Quantified Self (Tools for Knowing your Own Mind and Body).
I *love* this stuff.  More please.

Thanks for pointing this out. I never noticed it before though I have feeds for some of Kevin Kelly's other stuff that is linked from there: The Technium and Cool Tools. The latter is a direct descendant of the old Whole Earth Catalog that was a formative part of my student years.   Cool
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:29:53 AM by JennyB » Logged

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.
yotta
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:10:16 AM »

haha
Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »

Yeah, the article needs to be titled "Set Roberts is His Own Lab Rat"

steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:21:46 AM »

Agreed.
vixay
Supporting Member

ViXaY

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 03:05:08 AM »

Agreed.

Second that...

here i thought he had attached one of those 3D mouse to his body and was moving around to move a cursor on the screen. I wanted to know WHY??

now i know better tongue

"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me
choicefresh
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 08:17:46 PM »

Yep...I also thought he was moving his computer mouse with his mind, until I saw the screenshot  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.037s | Server load: 0.34 ]