Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 29, 2014, 12:22:44 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What was the name of that Right/Middle Click Circle-based interface app launcher  (Read 13415 times)
greasypigstudios
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »

I feel awful not knowing its name or how to describe it succinctly, but it was an application launcher that worked by right or middle clicking on the screen to bring up an interface based on a circle (around your mouse pointer), and clicking on what you're looking for. It was shiny looking with alpha. Can anyone tell me what it was called, or the name of any piece of software that's like this? I like the concept a lot and want to try it out.
steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:37:08 PM »

Sounds like the launcher included with Logitech mice to me. 
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »

Could it be The Quicksilver Radial Menu? Maybe Firefox Pie menu add-on?

Suggest you Google for pie / radial menu to try finding the apps name.
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »

Here are a couple for Firefox:

http://www.radialthinking...lcontext/screenshots.html
http://cybernetnews.com/2...nsion-for-firefox-review/

yotta
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 07:08:09 AM »

orbit, if its the same one i used

EDIT:
homepage: http://www.ecocardio.com.br/orbit/.
it seems that it is no longer in development, but the source code has recently been released
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:10:28 AM by yotta » Logged
nontroppo
Charter Honorary Member

spinning top

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »

Well, if you wait until Windows 7 (patience is a virtue you know! tongue ), it will be built-in:

http://blog.wired.com/gad...8/05/ballmer-and-gat.html

There isn't really good generic radial menu (RM, also called pie menus) software for Windows that I could find, there is RadiaLM (haven't tried it), and some plugins for Firefox (thus not available elsewhere).

RadiaLM:

On OS X, there is a fantastic selection of options:

Constellation, a plugin for the Ă¼ber-launcher Quicksilver. Great iterative interface (radial menus stack for more options, and can be contextual). As usual on OS X and Quicksilver, looks beautiful:

An intelligent radial launcher, Sapiens. Analyses application types and groups related apps, also keeps items spatially consistent within their relational groups:

http://www.donelleschi.com/sapiens/

A 'standard' radial dock interface:
http://www.old-jewel.com/trampoline/

-----------------
UPDATE: ah, Orbit looks like a good windows alternative :-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:41:23 AM by nontroppo » Logged

greasypigstudios
Participant

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »

orbit was what i was looking for, but the firefox extensions look awesome!
SirSmiley

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »

Be careful with Orbit because last time I used it there was adware bundled in.

Another windows one is Magic Formation by TokyoDownstairs. It takes a bit to get use to but, I like it.
greasypigstudios
Participant

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »

TokyoDownstairs is an awesome program, better than Orbit, which was what I was looking for. Thanks for the help everyone!
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »

i must say that Quicksilver's constellation is quite something.

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:11:14 AM »

gHacks mentions Orbit and credits DC forum for the discovery. See Orbit provides a circle based menu for Windows.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »

Are you sure about that? I checked the content of the .zip file (orbit0350full) and absolutely nada. However, the project is dead but the source code is available for download.
Curt
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 04:28:52 AM »

Does Magic Formation need 'mousegestures' to be ONtellme
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 06:01:27 AM »

wow! Magic Formation is cool.

@Curt: What mousegestures are you talking about? To bring up the circular menu, you don't even have to press your right mouse button down. Just draw a small circle anywhere.

PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 07:36:53 AM »

You could draw it clockwise / counter clockwise. This is a very cool dock, highly customizable. You could setup upto 20 docks, trigger shortcuts with a hotkey and run shortcuts with arguments. You may change the dock formation and even have the taskbar icons displayed. Very cool stuff.
SirSmiley

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

Have been using Magic Formation since January and it's my primary "visual dock" but, have to give credit the original finder Firecracker6 over at Aqua-soft.org

Are you sure about that? I checked the content of the .zip file (orbit0350full) and absolutely nada. However, the project is dead but the source code is available for download.

It was long time ago and maybe I tried it through a download site. It wasn't major adware either just yahoo toolbar.
sri
Honorary Member

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »

Anything that gets installed w/o the user asking for it can perhaps be called adware. With that in mind, yahoo toolbar is adware even today. It got installed autotragically as a bundle w/ yahoo messenger. Unstalled the crap (yahoo toolbar) immediately.

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »

But not the crap (yahoo messenger) that was installed?  Wink

masu

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »

orbit, if its the same one i used

EDIT:
homepage: http://www.ecocardio.com.br/orbit/.
it seems that it is no longer in development, but the source code has recently been released

Orbit looks great.
thanks for the hint  Thmbsup

Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0 ]