ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

any plans to "force" stubborn programs?

(1/4) > >>

bigbadbuu:
Mouser, first off, great program!  Yours is definitely the best i've used so far.  I have a couple questions/request which i hope you'll entertain..

1.   There are are a few services/processes that simply ignore Process Tamer.  I've seen this corrected in a few other (similar) programs and was wondering if you were planning to implement/fix this.

2.  Can the next version have an option for a small(-ish) foreground priority boost?

-Buu

mouser:
yes to both.

the answer to first might be to run PT as a service; there was some discussion of looking into this earlier but i haven't yet.  if you can find any discussion of these issues and why some apps "resist" i'd love to see.

the answer to second is that i will probably implement this as an option, though there seems to be a debate about whether one would expect to get a benefit from this, since windows 2k/xp is supposed to do this semi-automatically behind the scenes, as i understand it.

bigbadbuu:
I couldn't find anythign on how/why some processes resist the change.  I have noticed that some programs set their own priorities and will eventually re-set process tamer's choice.  This is a different issue from where programs are simply resistant, but I wanted to mention it as well. 

As for 'resistant' programs, maybe this has somethign to do with the level at which PT is running.  Maybe running it as a service (as you suggested), would solve this.  Other than that, though, I couldn't find any other information on the matter.

cheers.

bigbadbuu:

...Also, re: the foreground priority boost.

It *is* an automatic win2k/xp feature.  However, its only enabled if/when you have your system set as a workstation-- which is the default setting btw...

hope that helps,

mouser:
thank you very much for your report bigbadbuu - your comments make a lot of sense.
a new version of process tamer will be out this month and i hope to investigate this more before then.

if someone could find a program or two for me that pt can't tame that i could run during testing, that would help a lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version