Maybe we should make this thread into a discussion of how the "Ultimate Reference Info" plugin should work. I've given it a lot of thought but it's involved enough that getting the details worked out here before coding it would be a good idea.
Some of the issues were discussed here: http://www.donationc...ndex.php?topic=13295
Here is the basic idea of the plugin:
The purpose of the plugin is to let the user find and display Reference Information from within text files.
- An example would be that you have a file containing an address book, you want to be able to type "info phone hospital" and have it find the phone number for the hospital.
- Or perhaps you work in a job where you constantly have to look up order codes based on some keywords so you want to be able to type "info order muffler porshe" to show all the entries related to muffler and porshe keywords.
It should be possible to ADD items to these files from within FARR as well.
So it's basically a combination note taker and reference info finder.
My feeling is that the plugin should be able to be told about multiple reference files and let you select which one you are interested in as the first argument. the next arguments would be search terms.
I think each reference item should have a title, keywords, and text contents (maybe html contents too?). Search would occur in titles, keywords, and text.
It's also possible that this plugin might take advantage of the planned spreadsheet view for FARR, and already implemented html view.
Some unresolved issues:
- What should the file format be? Or should it allow the user to customize the file format possibilities so as to use existing csv, xml, xls files?
- Might one alternative approach be to keep each note in a separate file, arranged in a hierarchical tree?
- What should the "add new entry" gui dialog look like (i think their should be a nice gui dialog for adding an entry which helped user select tags); what should the simple line to add a note without a gui look like.
- What nice copy-to-clipboard options should be provided and how?