ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosting options for new website

<< < (3/5) > >>

tomos:
! We only provide free php hosting to all active members of our forums. You need at least 5 quality posts before requesting a completely free web hosting account.
-Silverchip (May 30, 2008, 11:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

no shortage of forums there to post in :)

PPLandry:
I have 1X and it is excellent for the price. Speed is very good and you get lots of databases (both SQL Server and MySQL). Main problem is downtime which is significant (since Jan, approx 4-8 hrs per week)

mouser:
This isn't completely relevant, but let me take this opportunity to mention that Gothi[c] and I have finally bit the bullet and upgraded the Donationcoder (secondary) member server from a $60/month virtual private server, to a $150/month dedicated server.  That's not quite in the same league as our main server, but a huge improvement from the current server we use to host member accounts and miscellaneous stuff.

This new member server is significantly beyond our current needs.  The hope is that (assuming we can afford it), it will let us be much more generous about providing server space and functionality to donationcoder members and projects.  Once it's all set up I'd encourage people to try to come up with proposals for projects.

Ehtyar:
This new member server is significantly beyond our current needs.  The hope is that (assuming we can afford it), it will let us be much more generous about providing server space and functionality to donationcoder members and projects.  Once it's all set up I'd encourage people to try to come up with proposals for projects.
-mouser (May 31, 2008, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds awesome mouse man  8) Until then, I'm a second for DreamHost. They have a bit of a reputation for being a bit unprofessional, but they certainly know what they're doing, and they do it very well.

Ehtyar.

a_lunatic:
im in uk too but http://www.servage.net comes with my recommendation, £4.50 so about $9/month, its doesnt have to fastest load times (see http://nico.yottagames.net for an example), but comes with 510gb disk space and 5.01tb BW/month. it also comes with an optional auto-installer option for software like joomla.
-yotta (May 30, 2008, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Few problems with servage is there Clustered Servers setup doesn't like install scripts as installing SMF(there autoinstall script says SMF1.1.2) & then any mods will give errors as the server takes ownership of folders/files after a test which make it a pain to work with last install I did was on a WampServer on my computer to make sure it was good & them uploaded the SMF folder & database & changed the config & anything in the database to the path on server.

Plus there web stats is not the best if you want detailed user info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version