ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hosting options for new website

<< < (2/5) > >>

Shades:
If you don't mind storing your site over the sea...The Dutch based http://www.hosting2go.nl is a very capable provider that has managed to put up several sites from me within 24 hours (incl. domain)...for the pricey sum of 40 euro's a year. They support the Joomla CMS, unlimited email, unlimited sub-domains, PHP, MySQL...all the basic are there.

This is their cheapest offer, so expect a lot more for spending a little more money. As you might or might not know, the internet infrastructure in Holland is extremely good (enough redundancy to guarantee a lot of uptime).  :)

Silverchip:
I doubt you would take my option but you might. I post in a forum 5 times a week to keep points up and I get free webhosting. I bought a domain and added it to my account and I been good for a year+ as well as happy. They do occasionally have an issue but it fixed pronto.

http://www.Frihost.com
Description
    *  250 Mb of space for your entire collection of websites.
    * 10 GB of traffic each and every month.
    * 1 short free subdomain to be reachable in the whole world (you.frih.net).
    * Php and Perl scripting languages to fulfill all your programming needs.
    * The DirectAdmin control panel to manage your web hosting account.
    * No forced advertisements. Your own ads like google adsense are allowed.
    * Unlimited MySQL databases for all your data.
    * Unlimited subdomains and ftp accounts of all your domains.
    * Unlimited email accounts for your correspondence.
    * Unlimited parked and addon domains for your whole portfolio of websites.
    * Great community forums of over 500,000 posts and over 25,000 members to get support from.

! We only provide free php hosting to all active members of our forums. You need at least 5 quality posts before requesting a completely free web hosting account. Being active on our forums afterwards is also required in order to keep your hosting account.

Edited
Reason:
Forgot an essential piece of info, the webhost link  :P

40hz:
I doubt you would take my option but you might. I post in a forum 5 times a week to keep points up and I get free webhosting.
-Silverchip (May 30, 2008, 11:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, it's not an option I would use. But I gave a certain impoverished "artsy type" I know a copy of your post and it made her day! Wanna guess who's up there building quality points as we speak? Righteous frugality if ever I saw it. Gotta love it! Well done :Thmbsup:

tinjaw:
I have been using one hosting service or another since about 1994. I am currently using DreamHost and I am very happy with them.

cthorpe:
I would avoid 1and1 and godaddy for hosting.

I used 1and1 because of a free offer they had a few years back.  They were pretty good on the free account, but when that expired and I went to a paid account, it was too slow for any decent cms options.   Their support is also problematic, and it is very hard to cancel your account and prevent them from auto-renewing and billing you.

GoDaddy also had a lot of problems when trying to use a cms that required a sql backend.  After a week of dealing with support techs who insisted that everything worked on their end, and that it was a problem with  my computer or isp, I finally got a manager on the phone who admitted that they were having difficulty accessing my site as well.  He was  unable to explain why the lower level techs lied about being able to access my site, and didn't give me any reason to stick with them for anything (even for domain registrations),.

I currently use hostgator.com and I am very pleased with the service.  My sites are always accessible, they load quickly, and the tech support is average to above average.  Their prices are reasonable as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version