topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Comodo, Webroot and ZoneLabs bundle Ask Toolbar and Search Assistant  (Read 12093 times)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find this odd development... It appears that Comodo, Webroot and ZoneLabs include\bundle as a default (pre-checked) opt-in of the Ask Toolbar and Search Assistant while other security products detect components of this toolbar. Details @ ZA Free/Webroot Products/Comodo/Ask Toolbar

What's your take on this? Would you still consider installing their products?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mmm, Webroot has been doing it for some months now, we already discussed it a while ago.

Since no way in hell I'm installing such software (either bloated suites or obnoxious firewalls), I really don't care. But CCleaner also bundles the Yahoo! toolbar for example, and other software (WinZip?, IrfanView) bundle Google products (either the toolbar or the desktop search engine), and I always opt out (or get the "clean" build).

Even then, as I said in that other thread, we really have a problem if SECURITY software bundle toolbars from external companies, even more considering that such software is payware (unless they restricted the toolbars to the free editions), but I guess they must have a good reason to do so.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Even then, as I said in that other thread, we really have a problem if SECURITY software bundle toolbars from external companies, even more considering that such software is payware (unless they restricted the toolbars to the free editions), but I guess they must have a good reason to do so.
Agreed - and I don't like it at all, even in the free versions.
- carpe noctem

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Lashiec. I somehow missed that thread. Looked into this further and I must say I could never trust these companies EVER (sorry had to use the Caps Lock  :P).

If you install ZA Free, you are presented with a a pre-checked option to install ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker.

2008-05-31_003359.jpg

You would click next, expecting an extra security feature, would'nt you? But look what you get when you launch your browser

2008-05-31_004258.jpg

Yup, ZoneAlarm SpyBlocker the Ask Toolbar! ZA is tricking users to install the Ask Toolbar.

As for Comodo, the Ask Toolbar is being installed under the guise of the Comodo SafeSurf toolbar. Worse, if you do an upgrade, you won't even have the opt-in option presented to you.  :down:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:58 AM by PhilB66 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might want to cruise over to Gizmo's Tech Support Alert website and scan their security related articles before you install any of that stuff. Some of the most rational discussions of security you'll ever encounter are posted there.

Check out http://www.techsuppo...o-secure-your-pc.php for an especially useful way to approach the whole "security thing."

FWIW I think it's best to avoid bundles. Install what you need - and get it directly from the author's website. That way you get the most "vanilla" version available and avoid all the affiliate crap that usually tags along for the ride. Use the "custom" installation option if there is one - and be very leery of anything else that asks to be installed after (or along with) the main product. Most of those things are marketing ploys anyway.

Personally, I can't fault these guys for trying to recoup some revenue with add-ons. But I can fault them for not being up front about the fact they're doing it.

FYI: I use Comodo Firewall. It's a great piece of software (i.e. it does what it says) but it can be a real pain at times. The main reason I put up with it is because it's educational. It's interesting to see what some applications get up to when you're not looking. Comodo tells me everything I'd ever want to know about what's happening on my box. And like every other snitch, it also rats out things I could care less about. Frequently. And in great detail.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:26 PM by 40hz »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rant: Enough with the toolbars!

What would happen if you install the bundled toolbars...

2008-07-24_093846.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rant: Enough with the toolbars!

What would happen if you install the bundled toolbars...
 (see attachment in previous post)

That is truly awesome! Kind of reminds me of Picasso's Guernica...something that fascinates and horrifies at the same time.

Thanks for posting that! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Comodo, Webroot and ZoneLabs bundle Ask Toolbar and Search Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04 AM »
2PhilB66

Your screenshot reminded me about:
http://cybernetnews....stalled-at-one-time/

fxtbars.jpgComodo, Webroot and ZoneLabs bundle Ask Toolbar and Search Assistant