topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Disktrix's UltimateDefrag V1 released as freeware !  (Read 19694 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Disktrix's UltimateDefrag V1 released as freeware !
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:04 AM »
http://www.disktrix.com/UDFree.htm

A disk defragmenter with many possibilities.  I personally prefer PuranDefrag 4.5 from PuranSoftware but it is a nice tool at that price !                                                             
.merle1.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Disktrix's UltimateDefrag V1 released as freeware !
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:11 AM »
Just a reminder MerleOne... $7.5 to optimize XP NTFS Drive access : rip-off or not ?  ;)

Would you still deal with such a company?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:06 AM »
@*!& NO! I hate these guys. The fact that they charge you 7.50 for a document which details how to setup NTFS compression, which is freely available information, is a tactic I do not agree with.

DOWN WITH MOUSER.....errr...Disktrix!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Just a reminder MerleOne... $7.5 to optimize XP NTFS Drive access : rip-off or not ?  ;)

Would you still deal with such a company?

I must admit I had completely forgotten that ! But even so, since it is a freeware, I see no moral problem in downloading, installing it and even recommend it !
.merle1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:48 PM »
That was all back then. Now they seem to have learned a lesson; the old PDF in question has been removed, and the new is free of charge. I would say their UltimateDefrag 2008 is a fine piece of work, so I am purchasing it NOW, and then we'll see Sunday if the 25% discount offer is still valid, even it says "until 31 May 2008".

Edited:
Read more at rapidlinks[-deleted-]=12797

even more edited
:
- about the previous version, the one that is now free, well, we all followed the great shootout, didn't we:
UltimateDefrag is probably the closest program yet reviewed to being the "ultimate" defrag software, particularly if you're a power user. It gets a "Thumbs Up" rating in spite of its flaws.

http://donnedwards.o...t-xiii-disktrix.html
-The Great Degfrag Shootout, XIII

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:11 AM by Curt »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:26 PM »
@Curt
Perhaps you should remove the rapidlinks.co.uk link.  ;)

I think UltimateDefrag is a nice piece of software, but quite complicated to use. It's no surprise to me they added a "Auto" function after some 1.x version numbers. Also I'm not sure if it's really such a performance issue if I move some files to the inner track of the HD, some files to the outer track, and so on. It looks great on the interface to see where it places my files, but my system never felt faster. Anyway, I settled with freeware "jkdefrag" + an external GUI. The standard settings does all the thinking for me (Folders first, unused space hogs last, and so on). That's all I need. :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 05:48 PM by wr975 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:32 PM »
I have several defraggers, but I WANTED this.  ;)

I merely linked to a fine article. I don't know what else may be going on at rapidlinks.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I merely linked to a fine article. I don't know what else may be going on at rapidlinks.

All the content of this " fine article" is taken from DiskTrix Website including the images. Badassbaz is distributing a cracked version. You should remove the link.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:53 PM »
- about the previous version, the one that is now free, well, we all followed the great shootout, didn't we:
UltimateDefrag is probably the closest program yet reviewed to being the "ultimate" defrag software, particularly if you're a power user. It gets a "Thumbs Up" rating in spite of its flaws.

http://donnedwards.o...t-xiii-disktrix.html
-The Great Degfrag Shootout, XIII

Well, if choose to quote from a review, you'd better read it through and maybe quote the conclusion. To balance it out, here's another quote:

Unfortunately I will not be using UD because it failed my "torture test" and my "large files" test.

And another one:

My overall impression is that this program is sluggish and vulnerable to giving up when large file are involved.

Oh, and here's the most recent review - UltimateDefrag 2008 Debate: I, which confirms earlier findings.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:03 PM by PhilB66 »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:17 PM »
The UltimateDefrag GUI is a joke... it's an oversimplification of how harddrives work, and in reality a more classical view is a lot less misleading.

It is true, however, than (on most harddrives) access speed is slower as you move from logical sector 0 to logical sector "the end of the drive" (my raptor goes from ~90MB/s to ~55MB/s). Which is a bit funny, considering most drives have multiple platters, and if a really-simple layout was used, you'd expect speed to drop, the start from max again as a new platter is used, etc.

Even if UD was a decent product, I wouldn't use it because of the GUI, and the infamous NTFS "optimization" trick they charged cash for. Oh, and I'm not that great a fan of product names including the word "ultimate" :)
- carpe noctem

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Even if UD was a decent product, I wouldn't use it because of the GUI, and the infamous NTFS "optimization" trick they charged cash for. Oh, and I'm not that great a fan of product names including the word "ultimate" :)

Same here. Also, as a rule of thumb, I never touch products of companies that have a POBox as a contact addres and no telephone number, use marketing tactics for people who were born yesterday etc.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 02:43 AM »
I still don't know what you are implying about rapidlinks. What is a crack and what is it supposed to do? I have just now clicked 'download' and twice followed the never-ending redirections and both times ended up downloading a 9 kb invalid rar container file - is that a 'crack' ? Of course, I couldn't see what was inside the invalid container, but the original file is 2.44 MB. The link may of course be removed, I don't want to offend the forum with something of no importance at all, but I just don't fully know what you are talking about. And I guess a lot of other innocent people don't know either.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 03:00 AM »
... the most recent review - UltimateDefrag 2008 Debate: I, which confirms earlier findings.

All about files bigger than 4 GB!
Who have files at such a ridiculous size?
Well, let him choose another program!

You obviously love to hate my new program -
I will tell you later on if I love or hate it, and why.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 04:27 AM »
I'd like to add that UD 2008 is actually very very close to the now freeware V1.72, so I suggest installing first the free version, and also the demo for the 2008 version and compare.  The difference is really little (small ?).

And for a simple yet efficient and quick defragmenter, there is always PuranDefrag 4.5.  For those who don't want to spend their computer life in looking for the best parameters ;)
.merle1.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 04:30 AM »
Curt: lots of people have files larger then 4 gigabytes :) - DVD images, for instance. Some games also have huge data files, although many games do split the resource wads into less than 2gig chunks, probably for FAT filesystem compatibility...

And it's not that we hate "your new program", but we are prettttty concerned about the tacky tactics of the company.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 04:42 AM »
Curt, after scanning my WORK PC, I have 12 files over 4GB. So yes, it doesnt happen just on home pc's with DVD Images or game data files, but everywhere. Please, do not yell at people because YOU don't see a reason for a file over 4GB

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56 AM »
@Curt

This wiki should give you you an idea about software cracking. Now the UD offered for download through your supplied link is a cracked version (read pirated) and the link should be removed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:58 AM by PhilB66 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 08:11 AM »
Thanks, PhilB66, for the informative wiki link.

However, I fail to see what the 9 kb invalid rar container has to do with all this.
Surely, you don't mean to tell me that 2.2 MB can be copied into 9 KB?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Curt: it's probably an error at your end that you only got 9kb. That RapidLinks site seems pretty dubious to me - as others have mentioned, most likely warez.
- carpe noctem

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 09:04 AM »
You probably clicked on the link and it fired up your download manager, Rapidshare doesn't really support download managers unless you're a premium user. The original file size is 4MB+, you probably got a web page disguised as a rar file.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 12:21 PM »
/ (not so) offtopic
Seems I can top you all...on one of my PC's there are files that have a size of 35 Gbyte...
/offtopic

But thanks for the tip of not using this defragger on big files.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 01:42 PM »
IMHO bop on over to http://www.emro.nl/freeware/ if you want a defragger. I've been using JkDefragGUI with outstanding results. Can be run portably as well!

Note: Be sure to read ReadMeFirst.txt You may need to download a few additional pieces of software that a Googlesearch can locate to use all the features in the interface. This may not be as easy as click-n-install, but we're a savvy bunch here so that shouldn't present much of a problem, right?  :)

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 08:57 AM »
I've been a long user of JKDefrag as well, but I find its fast optimization extremely slow. The defrag works alright. I've recently switched to using Contig by Sysinternals, its command line based but there's a GUI called Power Defragmenter. Contig is simple and fuss free, can be run as a portable too.