In the past year or so my nephew has become increasingly interested in how computers work and what you can do with them. He has been fairly involved in the game mod community for the games he plays. Last year he bought a DVD burner and now wants to burn some videos from the computer to disc, so he can play them on his portable DVD player. My assumption is that these are in games videos he has captured, or something similar, although I will ask specifically when I see him next.
I suggested he try out the Free Nero disc that came with the burner and he did, but got a message saying he'd have to buy Nero Vision to do whatever it was he tried to do.
I have no idea what Nero Vision is - I assume some sort of DVD authoring tool, but I encourage someone to correct me.
He doesn't have an income yet and so isn't likely to be able to buy what I consider to be a potentially over priced piece of boxware. I told him I'd do some research on what alternatives were out there, and so here I am.
I guess my questions are:
1. WTF is Nero Vision? In order to find a replacement it would be nice to know what it actually is classed as.
2. Are there any decent OSS alternatives, or freeware, or at least decently priced packages that do the job without adding the kitchen sink? (see other messages about Nero, here at the DC Forums)
3. Ease o use will be big heretoo, as old Uncle Daleus will be the support person
4. What other information do I need to gather for you folks to answer these questions properly?
5. What learning resources would you recommend the two of us read to learn more about what we're doing here?
Thanks in advance for helping me be one kids' hero