ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Dynamic shortcuts

<< < (3/6) > >>

steeladept:
If it just places the Shortcut on the desktop upon load, then it wouldn't matter if you never used the USB device on that pc before or not.  If you have, it would just update the link, if not, it would create it.

EDIT - Hmm, maybe not.  Sometimes it will create <ShortcutName>(2) instead.  That might be a problem...

SirSmiley:
Don't think you would need a batch for every individual PC just a loop that iterates through various desktop path options until it finds the correct one.

A monitoring type app might be some what over kill for something as simple as this? Guess it would depend on how frequently you are polling the drives, etc.

Josh:
That would be an option I would like. A way to say "Poll for updated shortcuts every 30 minutes". Or even a program which sits idly waiting for a new drive to be inserted. Then, upon insertion, it scans that drive to see if said path exists and updated the shortcut accordingly.

mikiem:
Ummm... not a coder (that part of my brain died long ago) so this is probably a stupid idea, but what popped into my head was why have an app constantly watching &/or polling when it could be activated by an autorun association? Also, instead of a shortcut, updating or otherwise, would a constant sized/placed window work containing your shortcuts? That way you could have several sticks with the icons or shortcuts varying by content?

nite_monkey:
I have created a very basic AHK script that should work

--- ---FileCreateShortcut, %A_WorkingDir%\test\test.exe, %A_Desktop%\test.lnkjust make a new ahk script in the root of the usb drive, and put that in it.
replace test\test.exe with the program you want to make a shortcut to
replace test.lnk with the name of the program
compile the script, and you are good to go.
you can also copy that code several times in the same ahk script for multiple shortcuts

then just create an autorun file that will run the ahk script when you stick in the usb drive, when you are done, unplug the drive, and delete the shortcut from the desktop.

example: FileCreateShortcut, %A_WorkingDir%\Apps\PortableFirefox.exe, %A_Desktop%\Portable FireFox.lnk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version