ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Dynamic shortcuts

<< < (2/6) > >>

lanux128:
I want a program that will change the properties of the existing shortcut to point from D:\Apps\FirefoxPortable.exe-Josh (May 25, 2008, 11:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

i'm not sure that this is possible but i've been in situations that you had mentioned and now i'm using USB drive letter manager to avoid this by assigning a fixed drive letter for flash drives. also check out this thread.

Josh:
I dont see why it shouldnt be possible. All that should be required is a program which monitors new drive letters, scans the drive for a given shortcut on the desktop's path, and then updates the shortcut accordingly.

justice:
I'd create a coding snack in AHK but actually you don't even have to do that. The easiest option is to overwrite shortcuts instead of updating them.
Create a file called Autorun.inf with the following contents:

--- ---[autorun]
open=LnkSwitch\LnkSwitchThumb.batKeep copies of shotcuts on the drive in the LnkSwitch folder
Then create the LnkSwitch\LnkSwitchThumb.bat file and have it copy the right shortcut to the right folder using a copy command such as

--- ---copy *.lnk c:\users\Josh\Desktop /y

lanux128:
The easiest option is to overwrite shortcuts instead of updating them.-justice (May 26, 2008, 06:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

good call, justice. :Thmbsup: i hadn't thought of that.

Josh:
The problem with this is I would like to be able to run this on multiple PC's. This would require me have a batch file for every conceivable PC I use this on as path's change from PC to PC. I could use the %USERPROFILE% environment variable, however, some PC's I have access to do not allow those variables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version