ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Dynamic shortcuts

(1/6) > >>

Josh:
Here is an idea that I have had for a bit now. What if you could create a shortcut on your desktop that is updated, automatically, each time a thumb drive is put into the PC? That way, you can have a shortcut to firefox portable (FOR EXAMPLE), which points to D:\Apps\PortableFirefox.exe. Then, if you were to insert another thumb drive prior to inserting the one with FF Port on it, the shortcut would be updated to point to an updated path when the proper drive is inserted. Basically, you have a smart shortcut that can detect when you put the right drive in and have it change the shortcuts properties accordingly.

Is this a possibility?

SirSmiley:
Is this what you mean DiskMounter
Or DeskDrive via FreewareGenius.

Have tried the first one but, not the second.

lanux128:
you can try Launcher programs that specialize in portable apps such as PStart or UBSpawn.

Ampa:
Also DeskDrive (via LifeHacker)

Josh:
Actually, I am looking more for something that doesnt display an icon on the desktop for the thumb drive, but more updates an existing icon to point to a proper path for an application on a removable drive.

Say I have inserted a drive for the first time and made a shortcut on the desktop to D:\Apps\FirefoxPortable.exe

Now. I remove this drive and insert another which then becomes D:\. Now I reinsert the original drive at the same time as the other and now the original D:\ is now E:\.

I want a program that will change the properties of the existing shortcut to point from D:\Apps\FirefoxPortable.exe to E:\Apps\FirefoxPortable.exe

Is this possible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version