topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LifeHacker vote, stage 2, final voting  (Read 21505 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: LifeHacker vote, stage 2, final voting
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 02:39 PM »
Rocketdock is a nice program but you cannot compare it to Farr. That is why I installed rocketdock on my wife`s computer and Farr on mine :)

Ghostly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 03:37 AM »
RocketDock may be a great program but it really is a totally different kind of program than the others and is out of place in this list in my opinion.

Totally agree. Dock programs are more of an alternative to the windows taskbar, rather than the combined alternative to the start menu, command line, and search tools that you get with programs like FARR.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 04:41 AM »
Ok They must be out there, where are the wives who are being treated this way? and why haven't they rebelled?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Rocketdock is a nice program but you cannot compare it to Farr. That is why I installed rocketdock on my wife`s computer and Farr on mine :)

Ok They must be out there, where are the wives who are being treated this way? and why haven't they rebelled?

icekin

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • icekin.com Technology,Computers and the Internet
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Totally missed this thread, went and voted just now, but not sure if its still counts. I was a Launchy 1.25 user and then moved over to Slickrun when I saw that it had a more memory efficient usage. After my 2GB ram upgrade, went to FARR and never looked back since. Took me a while to configure all the plugins, but totally worth it, being able to integrate with locate32, ninjawords, Google Calculator and all.

Now, I recommend FARR for anyone with more than 512 MB of RAM or more and Slickrun for older machines. I know FARR runs on older machines too and can be set to use less memory, but there's something about Slickrun's simplicity and instant appearance that I like. Slickrun or Launchy are good introductions to people who've never used keyboard launchers at all and FARR can be introduced once they have become used to the concept.

Simple aesthetic features FARR should add :

- Ability to hide tray icon. I know its not a big deal, but if you have many other apps in the tray, its only so long before the tray is more than half the length of the task bar. In fact, I think this option should be added to all background running programs.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 07:23 PM »
I had no idea about launchers till i discovered donation coder and FARR, when i first installed it i wondered what i had done but i just used it as a basic launcher till i became more comfortable with it and the whole idea of using a launcher, so I tried launchy and slickrun and all the others that were mentioned and something was lacking, while i didn't and still don't understand half of what FARR can do I wouldn't use any other, as your knowledge grows and your needs change the program is there to grow and change with you, its familiar already so the learning curve for what you need is hopefully a bit less steep.  And on top of all that is inbuilt there is, you may have noticed  a great group of plugin writers and alias developers who seem willing to try anything is lurking around these boards ;) . If you think you might ever need the additional things that FARR can do I would recommend jumping straight in.