ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The last time your AntiVirus saved you!

<< < (5/6) > >>

Josh:
I actually just purchased a 3 year license to adaware. Yes, it might use about 4-5MB more of memory for the main module, but it is highly accurate in my experiences. I am testing the A/V functions of it as well. As such, I have uninstalled NOD32 and am running soley on AAW. I will keep everyone posted on my results.

oldfart:
I used Norton up until about four years ago, then switched to Spy Sweeper when they offered AV.  Back around the turn of the century I was regularly receiving viruses as my family all started getting computers and had to be trained in AV protection. 
Beginning in '02, spyware became more of a problem than viruses.  I was flooded with complaints about IE crashing and severely slow internet speeds.  AdAware, Spybot and a couple other free programs cleaned out most of the trash [my brother-in-law had over 900 pieces of spyware on his system--not counting cookies]. 
Lately I've not had problems with either.  I use Firefox with NoScript and Ad Block Plus and stay away from the back alleys of the Internet.

Josh:
oldfart: How can you HONESTLY claim that you stay away from the back alley's of the internet? Surely donationcoder.com is one of the darkest walkways in the back alley of the internet!!!

f0dder:
I actually just purchased a 3 year license to adaware. Yes, it might use about 4-5MB more of memory for the main module, but it is highly accurate in my experiences. I am testing the A/V functions of it as well. As such, I have uninstalled NOD32 and am running soley on AAW. I will keep everyone posted on my results.
-Josh (May 24, 2008, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've stayed away from adaware ever since it was revealed that
1) they load the entire file they scan into memory in one chunk
2) they lie about the number of threats they detect (multiplying the amount of entries in the database by some constant number).

They might have improved their ways, but I'd rather run a decent piece of antivirus software with behavioral blocking, like Kaspersky - should take care of most of the spy/adware nasties as well.

dantheman:
As we await Josh with his comments about AA eh!  :P

I don't want to go away from the AV issue,
but from the looks of it, the major threats are no longer "really" related to AV issues.
Perhaps someone could give his/her 2cents worth about SpySweeper?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version