ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The last time your AntiVirus saved you!

<< < (2/6) > >>

f0dder:
About 6 years ago.
I was looking for some software on the freeware sites, and a link to something I was interested in went to a warez site instead of a valid homepage.  :o
-Edvard (May 22, 2008, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
This can also all-too-easily happen when people do domain-name squatting. FireFox with adblock plus does take care of a lot of those problems, though :)

Target:
short answer, never

interestingly though I appear to have had the opposite experience

I have always had an AV tool installed, but rarely used it.  I recently ran a scan (for no other reason than that I hadn't done so in about 2 years) and found a nasty - the app (AVG) 'cleaned/healed' it, but the result wasn't what I was expecting...

on rebooting there was no desktop - apparently explorer wasn't starting for some reason.  I could use an alternate shell no problems, but explorer was a no go. 

Googling didn't turn up any answers so the end result was another rebuild...

Tekzel:
Its hard to remember the last time I had an anti-virus program installed on my PC.  Sometime in the mid to late 90s I would guess.  Back then it wasn't as big a problem and these days I know how to not get infected.  I don't suggest people roll the way I do though.

Carol Haynes:
Occasionally when it has been my own (deliberate) fault and sometimes false positives (usually thinking keyloggers or password grabbers are present when actually they are applications I use - most NirSoft utilities which I know are OK).

I think I have only ever had one real virus stopped - caught in an email attachment from a friend whose system had been infected.

Deozaan:
The only virus I can remember being infected with was because my mother didn't know any better and opened e-mail attachments on her computer. When all they did was load up a console window and shut down, she just thought it didn't work and went on with life.

It was on her own computer, but I had networked a drive or two to get quick access to files, and my computer ended up with it too. But that was probably close to 7 years ago.

EDIT: Oh and by the way. The AntiVirus didn't catch it and save me. I only found out when someone e-mailed me saying I was sending out viruses. I had to manually get rid of it somehow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version