ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The last time your AntiVirus saved you!

(1/6) > >>

Mark0:
Seriously.
Can you tell when it was the last time your resident (as in actually intercepting file open / executing, etc.) AntiVirus fired up a big red warning and / or stopped some kind of virus / trojan / malware to actually take over your system?

Bye!

Josh:
I have inquired in my mind to this very same phenomena. I havent had one hit up that was an actual VIRUS as opposed to spyware in forever. The last time was the w95.cih virus back when I was running Win95 OSR2.5 (Remember that 18 different releases of win95 ;-) ). I am half tempted to uninstall that and leave an on creation scanner like adaware running because nowadays, virii just arent in the majority.

Lashiec:
Heh, although I advocate the use of an antivirus as the first line of defense, I think I catch about 20 virus in 10 years, most of them caused by my own lack of sense at the time.

The two last ones were one trojan hidden in a "picture" than a random guy send me over IM, avast! promptly warned me about it. Later I examined the file, and it turns out it was not even a picture, but a executable, maybe a embedded presentation, but I decided to shred it.

The other one was another trojan that was served via JavaScript, I encountered it because I misclicked in a spammed wiki. Careful with where you point the cursor :D

About virus, I had tons of boot viruses (the same every time, though) in my floppy disks during the years, after visits to internet cafes whose owners forgot to do the basic homework.

f0dder:
The only times my own box has been infected, I either haven't had AV installed, or it didn't catch the virus - but I knew my system well enough back then to manually track down and nuke the infected files. Never had a trojan infection. Oh, and one of the viruses I had was CIH as well, got rid of it a few days before it would have nuked my flash bios - thankfully I didn't know about that nasty feature until after I had removed it :)

Kaspersky does keep the museum safe, though, and it saves them at least a few times a month (and if it wasn't for anti-spam, it would be several times a day, probably).

Edvard:
About 6 years ago.
I was looking for some software on the freeware sites, and a link to something I was interested in went to a warez site instead of a valid homepage.  :o

Just going to the page dropped about 20 different viruses down my pipe, all swiftly dealt with by Antivir (it was called something else back then...). This was shortly after I ditched my buggy-and-never-worked-right OEM PC-Cillin 2000 that came on the motherboard driver disk.

I trusted Antivir ever since then, but I can't recall such an attack after that either...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version