ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

LifeHacker launcher application voting and FARR Name

<< < (3/10) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
It's also why we need more sites for informed comparative reviews rather than popularity polls.
-mouser (May 21, 2008, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

All we like sheep...

Since when did popularity equal quality (as you said)? Honestly, I don't mind a bit of both, as long as the data is presented as such.

nudone:
suggestion: to make farr more popular. make an idiots version. give it a 'friendly' web2.0 like name, e.g. tapr, typr, runr, ushr, impulse, blah, blah, blah.

straight out of the box looks 'nice' with a trendy web2.0 like skin. doesn't have more than a few options that the user will probably never see anyway.

basically, to make it popular. remove all the options that make farr the perfect piece of software that it is. options = dread. even if they are never used the fact they are there defines the software as being complicated. less is more and all that.

sorry, it has probably been mentioned before.

(i'm not suggesting to change farr - just make a little cousin to it - strictly aimed at being popular. think of it as a marketting experiment.)

mouser:
Bleh.. popularity is not the goal.. i'm not making a special version for that purpose :)

FARR already has a default beginner options mode anyway.

I think there are lots of ways to improve the usability of FARR, lot's of ways to make it better, etc.  Let's not worry about popularity of our programs and just concentrate on making them the best.

nitrix-ud:
@mouser
Let's not worry about popularity of our programs and just concentrate on making them the best
--- End quote ---
great to read that !

FARR cannot be the most popular launcher (and should not be) because it is too advanced...

(on a side note, i suspect that not many FARR users really use its power, how many uses dosearch commands ?, noresults ?, restartsearch to build menus ?, advanced hotkeys ?, aliases with complex regex mask ?, command-line switches, dosearch switches)

i'm in love with FARR, actually i could not imagine working without it, but it is a fact that i installed launchy more than FARR (on other people's computer), just because in 2 minutes you've got something working, nice, slick which does the work when it comes to search the start menu...

FARR is like a ferrari, it is not the one people have the most, but believe me when they actually see it (once again i'm talking about advanced uses), they just can't believe it

Keep up the great work mousey !  :Thmbsup:

nitrix-ud:
i forgot...

i actually got used to the name, i personally call it :  FARR

FARR ahead of the competition ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version