ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How hot is too hot? Overclocking thoughts...

<< < (2/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Just out curiosity, what is the default speed of your GPU that you're raising it from?

wreckedcarzz:
It is about 400-415 if I remember correctly for the core, and 700-ish for the RAM. I need FPS > texture un/loading speed.

So about a 300MHz overclock for the core, and 200 for the RAM.

EDIT: I just tested out Test Drive Unlimited, max resolution, max detail, High Dynamic Range rendering enabled, no AA - I get about 12-17 FPS driving and about 28-35 in houses/stores. I am going to try and take the core up a bit farther and see if I can pull 20+ FPS.

What HDR is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering for anyone interested

tomos:
ERrrrrrr... Don't want to hijack that thread but... my laptop's GPU is often between 60-65ยบ C. Should I be worried ?  :huh:
-Armando (May 20, 2008, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Armando
Tuckndar had success cleaning his fan (dust)
about the temperature again, not that anyones interested, I'm sure... uh, well I think I've got some dust in the fans. Thanks for your mentioning this, or I probably wouldn't've dug around so much. Now I know that the dust can be easily removed from my laptop :)

back to topic... :-[
-TucknDar (March 23, 2008, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
you could always pm him or continue off-topic in that thread :P ;D (says me, off-topic :-[ )

TucknDar:
Armando
Tuckndar had success cleaning his fan (dust)
about the temperature again, not that anyones interested, I'm sure... uh, well I think I've got some dust in the fans. Thanks for your mentioning this, or I probably wouldn't've dug around so much. Now I know that the dust can be easily removed from my laptop :)

back to topic... :-[
-TucknDar (March 23, 2008, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
you could always pm him or continue off-topic in that thread :P ;D (says me, off-topic :-[ )
-tomos (May 21, 2008, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Removing the dust made a huge difference on the CPU temp. My laptop was running at about 55C idle, but after I got the dust out of the fan it's now steady at 40C idle. I suck at math, but I believe that's 22% cooler!

Lashiec:
Well Lashiec, here in Paraguay the ambient temperature is 35 degrees (celcius) or higher for about 60% of the total year. Watercooling is an serious option over here, because moving air that itself is already 35 to 50 degrees hot does not cool the equipment that well.
-Shades (May 20, 2008, 08:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, yeah, in those extreme cases watercooling is something worth considering, but in normal environments it's only really useful for xtreme OC 8), air cooling tend to be sufficient for the rest.

wreckedcarzz, you could take a look to more serious air cooling as well for an extra push. Or another card for that matter :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version