ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Search GT .... how can this be?

(1/3) > >>

tsaint:
Today I thought I'd give SearchGT a try, so duly downloaded whilst at work, installed and played. Noted that it was unregistered, 30 days remaining.
This evening, after downloading and installing the daily GOTD offering, I thought I'd have another play with Search GT to see agin how fast it was.
 It was fast, so I thought about whether I'd register or not.
 Then it struck me...where was that 30 day trial reminder? Looked again, it's registered to GOTD. Huh? I never downloaded from there (it was offered on march 31).
Checked the dates of the files in the Search GT directory - they're today's date.
 Would be funny (as in odd) if that was a reproducible event. Of course it poses an ethical dilemma now. Perhaps I should cross post this to some recent threads.

Deozaan:
GAotD registered a product that was offered nearly two months ago just by connecting to the server to register a product offered today?

Wow that's...  Neat.

tsaint:
I downloaded the "normal" SearchGT install file, not the GOTD version. I didn't try to register it in any way, either using GOTD nor from SearchGT.

Curt:
Please forgive me, but I would say you did install it March 31, but removed it, and forgot.

I have several times installed a GAOTD program, just to remove it at once. Then maybe later I have reinstalled the same file. The case is whether the GAOTD comes with a separate activation file or an integrated setup file. That you could install an 'official' version tells me that the file you downloaded today is the very same file we downloaded back then, and the only difference has been the activation file. But still, this takes that you actually did install it back then, but somehow have forgotten.

tsaint:
That's what my common sense tells me too Curt, but:
- why would it come up initially as saying I had a trial period of 30 days?
- once uninstalled, GOTD offerings aren't supposed to be able to be re-installed (tho I accept it's the norm for programs to leave junk behind after uninstallation)
So once gone, it should re-incarnate as an unregistered version, especially as I used a normal installation package yesterday

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version