topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to create crosswords?  (Read 8869 times)

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Software to create crosswords?
« on: May 19, 2008, 02:11 PM »
I'm going to create a couple of crossword puzzles for educational use (kids) and would like to know if anyone here has any experience with a decent piece of software for such a task?

Preferably free software, but I'd consider something inexpensive as well, ie. < $20(ish)...

I've googled a bit, obviously, but most of my findings are either too expensive for my use or they don't seem very good.

Any help is much appreciated!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to create crosswords?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Thanks, Curt! Looks like a pretty good crossword maker, and v1 is free :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:41 PM »
Yes, but allow me to recommend version 2, though £15 is over the edge of the price frame you listed. I really wish someone would make this program & dictionary come in Danish!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:57 PM »
that price isn't too bad either. I'll give it a spin, maybe it's worth it. Thanks again!

M1sterB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17 PM »
I use EclipseCrossword (http://www.eclipsecrossword.com/) It is free, lets you create paper or Web page puzzles and more. I use it with my junior high students all the time.

Cavalcader

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Live Long & Prosper
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:52 PM »
I think one of the top crossword programs for Windows is Crossword Compiler. It weighs in at $30, but from the sound of its homepage it might be worth it:
Crossword Compiler is the professional constructor's program of choice. Most puzzles for the New York Times and other publications are made with help from the program. It has a full suite of tools for designing and filling grids, writing clues, and exporting puzzles.
Its creator is the guy that does WordWeb, the free/shareware desktop dictionary & thesaurus that I've used for years. His customer support is responsive and the quality of the software is quite good. I bet it's worth a look.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8862/newpuzausdu5.jpg
Software to create crosswords?
My Linguistic Profile:
  40% General American English
  30% Yankee
  20% Dixie

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:57 PM by Cavalcader »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:05 AM »
The entire bundle is on sale at Bits du Jour & daily-deals on the 3'rd of November
Listed price: $89
on offer for: $49

http://daily-deals.i...ord-compiler-bundle/

I think one of the top crossword programs for Windows is Crossword Compiler. It weighs in at $30, but from the sound of its homepage it might be worth it:
You can use Crossword Compiler to increase vocabulary, reinforce facts, or just have some fun by using your own list of words to generate your puzzles. A handy Puzzle Wizard steps you through choosing the type of puzzle, the size, and the words that will be used.

You'll be absolutely amazed by the variety of puzzles that you can create with Crossword Compiler. The program supports cryptic, quick, American, freeform/vocabulary, shaped, word search, sudoku, clues-in-squares, barred and coded puzzles.

http://daily-deals.i...ord-compiler-bundle/

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I jumped in and got the BDJ deal. More than I had initially planned on using for this kind of software, I guess, but I'm working in education and I'm sure I'll have plenty of use for it in the future. Also, Wordweb Pro thrown in isn't too bad either ;)