topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The next cool thing: Web Open Font Format (WOFF)  (Read 3622 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The next cool thing: Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
« on: November 02, 2009, 07:40 AM »
web-fonts10d.jpg

Web Open Font Format (WOFF) combines the work that Leming and Blokland on embedding a variety of useful font metadata with the font resource compression that Kew had developed. The end result is a format that includes optimized compression that reduces the download time needed to load font resources while incorporating information about the font's origin and licensing. The format doesn't include any encryption or DRM, so it should be universally accepted by browser vendors—this should also qualify it for adoption by the W3C.

The video in the article explains how it works. Since most of my online time is spent simply reading text and (data) numbers, this should be a big boost. Firefox will get a boost by being first to implement it. More linked at the photo below.

web-fonts09d.jpg

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The next cool thing: Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I saw a story about this on Betanews a little while ago: http://www.betanews....t-support/1256161820

It does seem very promising, I'd be thrilled if we could finally get solid extended font support - and thus enhanced website aesthetics - without having to use Flash or SWG, or some other kludge. Ironically it seems that MS did something similar-ish with IE ages ago, and even submitted it to the W3C several times. Not sure why it was rejected, but hopefully it will catch on now...

- Oshyan

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The next cool thing: Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:21 PM »
I have always turned font styles off and used my own CSS style which lists my LinoType fonts. WOFF would greatly improve the look of the web, if not its readability.