topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Warning: Fresh Windows XP SP2 install does not get along with SP3 update  (Read 10644 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I just formatted my wife's laptop and installed a nice, fresh copy of Windows XP SP2. Everything went great and smooth and it was really nice to clean all that crap off her system.

Naturally one of the first things I did once the install was complete was go to Windows Update to get all the latest updates. The only thing listed there was Service Pack 3, so I downloaded and installed it. Everything went smoothly without a hitch. It installed and told me to reboot, so I did. When the system loaded back up I went back to Windows Update to get any remaining updates. There were 12 of them. I selected them all and told it to download and install. Everything downloaded but when it came time to install, I got the message "Some updates were not installed" which really meant "None of the updates were installed."

Figuring it to be a strange glitch, I rebooted the computer and tried again. Same result. I tried doing them one at a time. Same result. Only high priority updates. Same result. I tried many different combinations but they all have the same result.

And I'm not alone.

So if you're thinking of doing a fresh install of Windows XP SP2, just be aware that you'll have to install every update since then manually, since Windows Update only lists SP3, at least until this is fixed.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why not download and burn the ISO file of Windows XP SP3 and install from that ? See:

https://www.donation....msg112022#msg112022

Don't know whether this will solve the problem you describe (probably not) but it is certainly a quicker and cleaner way to do a fresh install of Windows with SP3.

As for the updates youa re having problems with what are they? Do they install correctly if you download them and install them manually?

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Why not download and burn the ISO file of Windows XP SP3 and install from that ? See:

https://www.donation....msg112022#msg112022

Don't know whether this will solve the problem you describe (probably not) but it is certainly a quicker and cleaner way to do a fresh install of Windows with SP3.

As for the updates you're having problems with what are they? Do they install correctly if you download them and install them manually?
-Carol Haynes (May 11, 2008, 03:29 AM)

Aha! Thanks.

The installs range from Office 2007 SP1, Security updates for Office 2007, as well as .NET frameworks, Microsoft Silverlight, Windows Mediaplayer 11. Basically anything that wasn't covered in SP3 doesn't install from Windows Update.

I haven't tried installing them manually. But if you read what I linked to in the original post, someone else says that manual installs work. But they still show up as needing to be installed in Windows Update.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.google.co...p;btnG=Google+Search

Yes but a slipstreamed version doesn't include the new windows setup included in the RTM version of Windows XP SP3 which has extra features which could be useful for a fresh installation (such as being able to install without a serial code or previous version installed for upgrades).

armatostr

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had the same problem yesterday, made a clean install of xp sp2, downloaded sp3 from the microsoft download center  so i could use it any other time, after I installed it I tried to update ie and everything else and got that error, so installed win again, installed everything that was necesary to make windows update work (those activex controllers, and windows installer 3.1 I think, etc).

I went to the download center,  downloaded and installed .net 1.1, .net 2, ie7 and wmp11 manually but didn't update them (to test win update later) and then  installed sp3 again.

With that done I started windows update and it worked as normal and I don't have this problem:

Someone else says that manual installs work. But they still show up as needing to be installed in Windows Update.

:)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just an update: Downloading the SP3 ISO and installing it that way did the trick. Everything installed properly and extra Windows Updates work. Everything seems in order.