ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

More Abuses of Technology - Government Surveillance - Computer Confiscation

<< < (6/12) > >>

Grorgy:
In Australia we have some anti-terrorist laws.  One such beast allows for the arrest and imprisonment of anyone for quite a time, no contact with anyone, not a lawyer, their wife or husband, no one, for all purposes this person just vanishes.  If this person happens to be a minor, then 1 parent is allowed to know, if they tell anyone including the other parent, they can go to jail for 5 yrs i think it is, obviously I have no idea if this has ever been done, and if i did i wouldn't be able to tell you  ;D

Cpilot:
So Usa is spreading a system that she does not practice around the world

For the umpteenth time, the United States is not a democracy, it's a representative republic. Hence the reason we have congress critters, senators and the electoral college.

-Cpilot (May 18, 2008, 09:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

-kartal (May 18, 2008, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
When most people around the world think of Democracy they think it's this:
majority rule: the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
--- End quote ---
When in actuality what America has is this:
a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
--- End quote ---
And you can't "spread" democracy around the world, you can only suggest the concept. Democracy is a type of government that has to be earned, not given.
Even our leaders don't understand that.

Cpilot:
In Australia we have some anti-terrorist laws.  One such beast allows for the arrest and imprisonment of anyone for quite a time, no contact with anyone, not a lawyer, their wife or husband, no one, for all purposes this person just vanishes.  If this person happens to be a minor, then 1 parent is allowed to know, if they tell anyone including the other parent, they can go to jail for 5 yrs i think it is, obviously I have no idea if this has ever been done, and if i did i wouldn't be able to tell you  ;D
-Grorgy (May 18, 2008, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wow, you know that's the first I've heard about that. Now American laws are all the rage to complain about but no one seems to mind that Australian law.
Weird ain't it?

Grorgy:
Oh, i think there are people who mind it, its just that we are a fairly small country which isn't able to exert influence over large portions of the world.  After all Australia usually only makes the papers in the USA if a kangaroo escapes somewhere lol

mouser:
If everyone feels like they've had their say sufficiently, I'd like to simply remind everyone that this is becoming a political thread, and we've all agreed that we will keep this forum free of political stuff..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version