ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dilemma - Free AVG8 - Buggy; Updates for Free AVG 7.5 ending May 08

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
I like Avast.
It's better then AVG imo.
-cmpm (May 16, 2008, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with you, I went to Avast from AVG.  AVG started giving too many false positives for my liking.

I tried the free AntiVir - should be classified as NagWare.  Opens an advert every time it does an update.

Tried the free Comodo AntiVirus also, not very up-to-date with definitions.  Same with ClamAV - good for my BartPE though.

No longer use Anti-Spyware, anti-rootkit, HIPS or anything similar - just ended up bogging the system down with a lot of programs that did nothing 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%, (round it up if that number's too long :) ) of the time.

A simple firewall tells me if something's trying to send when it shouldn't and I keep a fairly good track of what's running on the system.

Plus, using an nlite'ned XP install leaves a lot less things for virii/spyware to target, (eg. no IE/OE installed on my system and Firefox/Thunderbird are both portable versions).

patteo:
Just a possible "solution"

Use Antivir mentioned below and combine this with the use of Gmail which has built in antivirus - that should take care of the lack of limited active email protection.

Support Alert Newsletter Issue 157, Free Edition
"Based on the evidence available as of today, I think the best route for free software users who want maximum protection is to switch to the free Avira AV [3] scanner and optionally, bolster this with the free Spyware Terminator program [4] or, less desirably, Windows Defender [5].

I say this because the free Avira product includes rootkit protection, while the free AVG does not. It is also more stable. Furthermore, Avira has better overall protection than AVG. Check out the AV Comparatives results [6] and you will see what I mean.

On the downside, Avira has limited active email protection, will nag you more than AVG free and the interface is somewhat more crude. But the overall level of protection is excellent."
http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm#Section_3.3

allen:
I've been using Avira for several years now . . . my only complaint is the nag screen that popus up with each update (Always, and I'm almost positive this isn't coincidental) while I'm doing something on my computer -- never when I'm afk.  I can't really fault them for it, after all it is a *free* product -- and it's effective, it's so annoying I have many times considered paying for it just to turn it off (and give myself the ability to change the schedule of updates) -- but usually at those times, I'm so annoyed by the popup that I refuse to reward them for it.  Stuck in an infinite loop, here.

In the past I had a lot of problems connecting to their update server . . . it doesn't seem to be a problem with the virus updates, anymore, though I seem to be having difficulty getting the product update to work (updating the client software itself).  Paying users connect (as they should) to a premium server.

Also: The pay version will allow you to create a bootable rescue CD.

tomos:
or there's PC Tools AV - [an opinion please!]
not much info in that thread there but it sounds like an option - I installed it lately on someones laptop (after having to use their restore CD because of a virus) & havent heard any complaints since which isnt exactly a recommendation - but definitely no complaint :)

I thought someone else recommended it in another thread but couldnt find...

Deozaan:
Another option which wasn't mentioned in Gizmo's newsletter is the offer from AOL. They are offering their members a free copy of McAfee VirusScan Plus. All you need is an AOL email address to get it, and you can now get one of those for free.
-app103 (May 16, 2008, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought we were trying to boycott McAfee for their terrible habit of too many false positives, especially with DC software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version