topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Freeware Genius Round-up of free turn-based strategy games  (Read 8720 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Samer at Freewaregenius.com has a nice long piece up today:

the article will present an overview of 19 free turn based strategy games (empire building or war games). The games are: FreeCiv, TripleA, Stick Figure Strategy, Weewar, Eight Kingdoms, PhpDiplomacy, C-Evo, Advanced Strategic Command, Project W, Conqueror, The General, TriChromic, FreeOrion, People’s Tactics, Lgeneral, Crimson Fields, 1848, The Battle for Wesnoth, and Risk.

ilyag

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Freeware Genius Round-up of free turn-based strategy games
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27 PM »
Seeing that C-Evo (www.c-evo.org) is on the list, I feel I have to advertise it. It is a Civ2-like game that is purely deterministic - that is, except for a map, nothing is random. While it does not have very flashy graphics, and the rules take a short while to learn, it is just wonderful. The best thing is that the rules are very well balanced, and few enough that one can actually keep them all in one's head, and know exactly why things happen. It is also one of the few programs I know that seem to have no bugs at all.

The only trouble is that it is pretty hard.