ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Options to use Donation Credits to purchase stuff

(1/4) > >>

Veign:
Not sure if I am the only one that collects DC's and doesn't use them because of a strange feeling of using something that is truly not mine and belongs to DonationCoder more than to myself (feels like DC and mouser deserves them more for all the hardwork).

What I thought may be a cool idea is to have DC offer swag that can be purchased at costs that would include all shipping (both to DC and to you) so the net cost to DC is zero.  The swag could range from DC swag to general computer stuff to audio things or books or such.  Like you can purchase an Amazon Gift Cert or USB Thumbdrives or MP3 players.

Not sure the amount of work.  I wouldn't think much since it would just be a small offering - maybe 10-20 active products at a time.

Thoughts?

TucknDar:
Yeah, some DC-things would be cool. I'd like something simple, such as a keyring, a coaster or something like that. Oh, and since I can't see myself winning a DC coffee mug anytime soon, I'd gladly spend my DC credits on that :)

Good idea, IMO.

mouser:
Anyone can request to cash out their donationcredits in the form of an amazon gift certificate or paypal, and no one should feel bad about it at all.  In the larger scheme of things, no one here is getting rewarded sufficiently for their contributions, so any amount you cash out is a small fraction of what you've added to the site.

Now, as far as letting people use their donationcredits to buy DonationCoder swag.. I have some mixed thoughts on that..

Here's the problem as I see it.  No one participating and improving DC can ever be paid sufficiently for their contributions.  People who contribute to the site are doing so because of good will, because they enjoy it, because they are helping others, and because it's a fun community to participate in. The one thing I can do occasionally, which gives me real pleasure and satisfaction, is to send one of our mugs to someone as a reward.  Nudone did such a good job illustrating our mascot Cody, that I always feel a sense of pride in sending them.  To me, these trinkets have a real sentimental value.  I fear that letting people "buy" these things would diminish their significance as a gift.

ps.
Veign and TucknDar, you are long time active charter members in the site.. If you want a DC mug or something else like that, you'll end up with one sooner or later -- I think all long time participants who want one will get one eventually (we should have a big DC gathering in a year or two and there will have to be a mug for everyone who attends :).

mouser:
Also, don't forget the member kit available for free to all supporting/honorary members:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Scripts/MemberKit/index.html

I was thinking of having some nice quality thing that would be cheap to include in the mail that might be nice to add to the member kits, like a high quality plastic bookmark.  That might be a fun trinket..

And of course I've said before that anyone who wants a bumper sticker can have one..

Veign:
Now that you put it like that I understand about the swag stuff.  My NaNy 2006 is my favorite mug for coffee.

I never knew about the Amazon cash out option.

Still may be cool to offer additional purchase options for use with Donation Credits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version