ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Pirating abandoned content?

<< < (4/9) > >>

Fred Nerd:
2 things to say:
First, the world cannot function on donationware alone: it is the poor who will donate the little they can, and the rich generally hang onto what they have. As a tradesman, you soon realise which people pay you fairly, and who will haggle and drag things out.
Not to mention people like me who simply forget to donate, the manyana syndrome. Sorry, someday soon I will fine a credit card somewhere. :)

Second thing, back to topic, how about bringing music into it? There is that much deleted content on P2P that it is crazy. So what if I have all the albums I can get of an artist, but want what is not available elsewhere? I know what I do, but is it ethical?
Or even more confusing; what about bonus tracks which you, missed by being a good fan and buying the album the day it came out.

Any answers?

tsaint:
The poor student who obtains the textbook via unofficial channels is doing two good deeds: he is improving society as a whole by adding another educated person to it, and he is also reducing the harm done and bad karma accrued by whatever combination of entities have failed to make the book available without charge to students who cannot afford it!
-cathodera (May 15, 2008, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
what if you were a poor author, with poor student children to feed, clothe and educate, who needs the money because his book on maths is highly dis-regarded?
There seems often to be a presumption that the consumer is poor, the creator is...well, who cares. I'm veering off topic..sorry.

nosh:
But what if the consumers are poor too - poor starving developers with poor starving uneducated sick malformed children & a granny in hospital vs poor starving uneducated tots with poor starving malnourished relatives, three of them in rehab. What is the right thing to do then? Will the penniless shantydwellers downgrade to a Hayes Accura 228 for a month and do the right thing or will everybody just... starve? Who will live and who will die? And will that ebook get read already!!?

Lashiec:
Since I have been pirating abandoned content for years (emulation), I don't have any moral issue with it. Don't know what's the case with books, I never found myself in that position as I always found paper copies of the books I want, either by buying or borrowing them from the college library.

Considering that most people these days take for granted that pirating current media that still bring profit to their creators is the normal behavior, be it TV series, movies, anime, music or games, and talk about it in public, I guess there's not much to debate, at least if we take the big picture.

tsaint:
But what if the consumers are poor too - poor starving developers with poor starving uneducated sick malformed children & a granny in hospital vs poor starving uneducated tots with poor starving malnourished relatives, three of them in rehab. What is the right thing to do then? Will the penniless shantydwellers downgrade to a Hayes Accura 228 for a month and do the right thing or will everybody just... starve? Who will live and who will die? And will that ebook get read already!!?
-nosh (May 16, 2008, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
well now you lost me as I'm from australia where we just elected a new prime minister who said that just can't happen here. Well, maybe that's gilding the lilly a tad - we're happy with uneducated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version