ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Track a Stolen PC with Freeware LocatePC - Cybernetnews Essay

<< < (3/4) > >>

Deozaan:
I answered my own questions by reading more about it.

It lists both your local IP and ISP IP.

I just couldn't ever get it to send me an e-mail during configuration, so unfortunately it's worthless for me.

Curt:
You have to type the email address in two different places, and it really shouldn't be an address that will be received on the same computer.

Carol's talk about the BIOS sounds most reasonable, but I don't think LocatePC is targeted against professionals, but amateurs. I have removed my version.

Deozaan:
You have to type the email address in two different places, and it really shouldn't be an address that will be received on the same computer.
-Curt (May 23, 2008, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I'm aware of that. It never got an e-mail through, so I've uninstalled it.

Carol Haynes:
I have forgotten which machine it was but there is a machine with a cut down version of Linux in the BIOS so you don't need to boot up to use the internet. That would be the ideal guard against theft if you can set that to call home.

Lashiec:
I have forgotten which machine it was but there is a machine with a cut down version of Linux in the BIOS so you don't need to boot up to use the internet. That would be the ideal guard against theft if you can set that to call home.
-Carol Haynes (May 24, 2008, 04:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

A motherboard actually :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version