ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What to do when you receive bootleg videos?

<< < (2/6) > >>

cranioscopical:
What do people think?
-Carol Haynes (May 14, 2008, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you should fink. Once will do, don't fink twice about it!

Seriously, you'll be doing your fellow eBayers a favour. Don't you wish someone had prevented this from happening to you?

app103:
In addition to informing Ebay, you might want to contact Paypal too.

If you used PayPal (I hope you did) they have ways of dealing with the counterfeiters and may require you to turn the merchandise over to them for examination. They should give you a refund in this case since it is definitely "significantly not as described" according to the terms of the user agreement.

Spoiler13.11 Significantly Not As Described. To the extent that we provide reimbursement for losses for items that are Significantly Not as Described when received by the buyer (which we may do under all programs except the Buyer Complaint Policy), an item is Significantly Not as Described if the seller clearly misrepresented the details of the item in a way that affects its value or usability. This does not include cases where the buyer is merely disappointed with the item or where the item did not meet the buyer's expectations. Here are some of the reasons that an item may be considered Significantly Not as Described:

1. The item is a completely different item than that represented by the seller in the listing, e.g. an audio book instead of a printed book, a desktop computer instead of a laptop, a picture of an item instead of the actual item; or an empty box.
   2. The condition of the item is significantly different. For example, if the item has clearly been used multiple times rather than almost new or still in box or is obviously repackaged rather than mint.
   3. The item is unusable and was not disclosed as such. For example, if there are missing major parts or components, will not function or turn on or is spoiled or past a relevant date. This applies to the item in its received state, no matter what the condition when it was shipped.
   4. The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic. For example, a fake or knock-off item that was advertised as authentic or a completely different or inferior brand of a similar product.
   5. The item is missing a major portion or quantity. For example, if the buyer ordered four dozen golf balls but only received one dozen or four golf balls, or the item is missing a primary component, like a blender missing a top or a coffee maker missing the bottom plate.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks all - I have launched a claim via PayPal. Initially I will let the seller sort it out and report it formally to eBay and PayPal when I have my money back!

f0dder:
Definitely report to both paypal and ebay. Piracy is one thing, but profiting from piracy, and not making it obvious he's selling counterfeits? That's outright disgusting.

cathodera:

I will be the minority opinion holder and suggest that you talk to the seller a little bit, to rule out the possibility that s/he might have purchased something that was fraudulently labeled, and just thrown it up on eBay.

It is true that you might be dealing with someone who deliberately seeks to mislead people about what they are selling, but you might also be dealing with someone who is not that knowledgeable or sophisticated, and if that is the case, you could have the opportunity for what educators would call a "teaching moment," meaning that you might be able to do the person a favor by educating them a little bit about it all, maybe give them some pointers to sites that they can visit to learn more about it, etc.

So whether you should tell eBay would, to me, depend on whether you would be "ratting" on a person who was knowingly engaging in shady business practices, or someone who is just as much a victim of those practices as you are!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version