ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what we really want is a simple "plain text" organizer

<< < (3/5) > >>

xbeta:
You can always try wikidpad. I have been using it for 4 years. It is plain text with wiki features plus many advanced ideas that many others do not have like superior tracking-tagging per page or per line etc
http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/
-kartal (May 15, 2008, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, this is a very good software.
support utf-8 and search very well. tag is powerful.
I even creat a flash to show it to my readers, see attachment.

but I dont like it very much, although I dont know why.

kartal, do you save all your information in one or several database? how big (MB) is it? about how many items in it?
can  it run well in case of large mount of information ?

kartal:
I have 615 topics(text files) with various lenghts(one database with text file, original sqllite), some are very long text files some are very short. It is very responsive and light. Search function is smart. You can do topic or content based search. if that is not enough you can use many tagging functions, bookmarking, todos, tracking,icon support etc. Latest betas have nice preliminary timeline as well.

I use autohotkey to enable or run wikipad (like win+w). I also have one mroe ahk line to open "open wikiword" so when I press win+shift+w, it opens wikiword search window nomatter where I am. What  I like about is that if there is such a topic you are intending to search it brings up, if there is no such a  thing you can create a  wikiword on the fly.

I use wikipad not because it is free but no other software offers such advanced features without loosing plain text format idea. In the past I had tried zillion software with advanced multimedia features even. They were either bloated or not nicely thought. Many softwares lacked custom shotcuts or simple interface. Some lacked even simple drag and drop functionalities. I debated between connected text and wikipad. In the end I had choosen wikipad even thou connected text is very very nice software with even more advanced feature implementation. I think that my main issue was file format and compability 
in the end. You cannot go wrong with plain text. Other custom databases limits the user in my view because generally speaking they do not support wide range of exports.

Armando:
Hey guys, just want to mention again that it's wikidpad, not wikipad...  ;D I'm just saying because it helps to find threads about certain software when the name is well spelt.

kartal:
Armando did not we just correct that couple wikids ago? I love wikipad more than wickedpad I guess :) Maybe Mouser can run a search and replace in the forum database. :)

Armando:
(ahah, like I said before, I made that mistake so often myself that now I notice it every time I see it...  :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version