ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

what we really want is a simple "plain text" organizer

<< < (2/5) > >>

najja:
hey xbeta, I am a reader of your blog 8)

I am personally very fond of zoot. It lacks utf support (but it deal perfectly with chinese as long as you set your locale to chinese) and is not freeware (you can continue to use it with a annoying notice upon start up after it expires). It has a 32bit version which unfortunately failed to start on chinese windows. I have complaint about it in the forum, hopefully with the current pace of ungrading, the author will get it right soon.

The good thing about zoot is the amazing search capability and flexbility of the database. However, one thing I miss is the ability to use an external editor. if only we can use vim along with zoot...mmmm....

urlwolf:
emacs's org mode gives you the best plain text support ever. it even does tables (in text). Very good outliner.

Still, a bit of a learning curve...

xbeta:
nice to find a reader here.
so you can imagine that I, in fact, tested most of such tools.
I tested Zoot 1 year ago, it handle very very long text is not so good, but that's not important.
and when I test the new version, just meet the same problem as you mentioned.
with it can solve it.

but also, the AceText team has got my email about the wrap bug.
if the done, I'll use AceText.

as you mentioned about the Vim, that's also my No.1 tool.
the Chinese software textfriend 良友收藏家 support external editor, can use vim.
but ceased developement several years ago.

hey xbeta, I am a reader of your blog 8)

I am personally very fond of zoot. It lacks utf support (but it deal perfectly with chinese as long as you set your locale to chinese) and is not freeware (you can continue to use it with a annoying notice upon start up after it expires). It has a 32bit version which unfortunately failed to start on chinese windows. I have complaint about it in the forum, hopefully with the current pace of ungrading, the author will get it right soon.

The good thing about zoot is the amazing search capability and flexbility of the database. However, one thing I miss is the ability to use an external editor. if only we can use vim along with zoot...mmmm....
-najja (May 15, 2008, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

xbeta:
emacs's org mode gives you the best plain text support ever. it even does tables (in text). Very good outliner.
Still, a bit of a learning curve...
-urlwolf (May 15, 2008, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, yes, Emacs can do everything.
but my love editor is Vim.
with some plugin, it works as outliner.
but not as convient as a real outliner.

I know it's hard to find such a satisfied tool.
but I noticed not quite a few people, eg. mouser, also said prefer of plain text.
so I still start this post.
maybe, such users can join together raise some money or award, to help some programmer make a such tool.
degrad a more advanced tool, such as mybase, evernote, theguide, to plain text maybe also a good idea.

kartal:
You can always try wikipad. I have been using it for 4 years. It is plain text with wiki features plus many advanced ideas that many others do not have like superior tracking-tagging per page or per line etc

http://www.jhorman.org/wikidPad/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version