topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: piss off your users?make a non-redefinable shortcut that clobbers a standard one  (Read 11882 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is exactly what iRotate has done: mapped shift + ctrl + arrows (something everyone uses to move around text, select blocks in excel etc) as their main screen rotation shortcut.

It's fun to try to select a word and see your screen rotating... several times.

The tool is incrediby useful, but it should have user-defined shortcuts, and in any case, never redefine window's system-wide shortcuts for a good reason.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i believe this must have been a constant problem for iRotate users since there is a sticky in their forums on changing default hot-keys plus another thread on turning off the hotkeys totally.

FAQ: Configuring hotkeys for softSpin and iRotate
shutting off hot keys

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I had similar issues with PhraseExpress last year. They use a lot of hotkeys for extending text, but override existing ones on your computer.

E.g., on my computer OneNote 2007 uses the Win+S shortcut for screen clipping.  Whenever PhraseExpress was open it changed that hotkey to "Sleep".  That got more than a little frustrating!  I inquired about allowing users to disable that and the developer told me to close all other programs with hotkeys when I run PhraseExpress.

Not a very good fix IMO.  I use Direct Access now.

Jim

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpress doesn't do that now, though. Just tried ;)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PhraseExpress doesn't do that now, though. Just tried ;)

Nice to know, but a little late...   :)

Jim

Writer4Hire

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
While it's nice that they provide a sticky, it would be nicer if, anywhere on their site, they actually explain how to turn off their hideously annoying (some might say abusive) shortcuts IN VISTA. They don't. The information they give simply doesn't work, the files they reference do not exist.

Merida

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have you contacted technical support? What was their reaction?

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I used iRotate some time ago and i think i faced the same problem. The solution i found was to create two autohotkey shortcut running the appropriate iRotate command-line, as the program accepts parameters.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is exactly what iRotate has done: mapped shift + ctrl + arrows (something everyone uses to move around text, select blocks in excel etc) as their main screen rotation shortcut.

It's fun to try to select a word and see your screen rotating... several times.

The tool is incredibly useful, but it should have user-defined shortcuts, and in any case, never redefine window's system-wide shortcuts for a good reason.

Sounds like they need to rename their app to iRate to better reflect how it makes end-users feel.

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Donate to Member
iRant ? :D