ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

piss off your users?make a non-redefinable shortcut that clobbers a standard one

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
This is exactly what iRotate has done: mapped shift + ctrl + arrows (something everyone uses to move around text, select blocks in excel etc) as their main screen rotation shortcut.

It's fun to try to select a word and see your screen rotating... several times.

The tool is incrediby useful, but it should have user-defined shortcuts, and in any case, never redefine window's system-wide shortcuts for a good reason.

lanux128:
i believe this must have been a constant problem for iRotate users since there is a sticky in their forums on changing default hot-keys plus another thread on turning off the hotkeys totally.

• FAQ: Configuring hotkeys for softSpin and iRotate
• shutting off hot keys

J-Mac:
I had similar issues with PhraseExpress last year. They use a lot of hotkeys for extending text, but override existing ones on your computer.

E.g., on my computer OneNote 2007 uses the Win+S shortcut for screen clipping.  Whenever PhraseExpress was open it changed that hotkey to "Sleep".  That got more than a little frustrating!  I inquired about allowing users to disable that and the developer told me to close all other programs with hotkeys when I run PhraseExpress.

Not a very good fix IMO.  I use Direct Access now.

Jim

TucknDar:
PhraseExpress doesn't do that now, though. Just tried ;)

J-Mac:
PhraseExpress doesn't do that now, though. Just tried ;)
-TucknDar (May 20, 2008, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice to know, but a little late...   :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version