ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Bits - ActMask - Drive Encryption - problems in encyption claims

(1/2) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

ActMask has a product on Bits Du Jour today.

Drive Encryption - Protect Your Removable Media!
http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/driver-encryption/

The posts by Keith Anderson have brought into question whether the product actually encypts the drive, or just the FAT.

The developer, Thomas Lee, has already acknowledged:
"The DriveEncryption encrypts the File Allocation Table for FAT format drive only."

This alone would be enough to deep-six the product, if it is not clearly indicated on the website.
Keith then reports he then found the same problem on the NTSF volume.
Kudos to Keith for doing extra homework.

Strange.  Why would an encryption product actually encrypt the FAT and not the drive ?  Why risk a stable of products on one that doesn't do what is advertised ?

Notice pidgin English in a company with a San Diego addy.
"Almost support all kind of Removable, Fixed, USB storage drive and Memory Card"
"It has ability to encrypt for each Logistic Disk"

Did a software middleman in San Diego get fooled by some Chinese (or others with limited English) software developers ?

Should we recommend to Nick to withdraw this Bits ? 

Your thoughts ?

Shalom,
Steven

Darwin:
Did a software middleman in San Diego get fooled by some Chinese (or others with limited English) software developers ?
-Steven Avery (May 10, 2008, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I teach at a college in Canada and I can tell you that the majority of people can barely write a coherent sentence... Heck, a lot of published authors are dreadful writers -witness the book I'm presently reading. Anyway, my gut reaction to those kinds of structural errors is like yours - red flag goes up - but I suspect that often what we're really seeing is the result of a one man (or woman) show and that the software author simply can't write prose that well...

TomColvin:
I visited the developer's homepage to learn more about the product.  There's virtually nothing there -- only the same stuff that is reprinted at GAOTD.  With something as ciritcal as encryption, I'd want more information about the product.  Frankly, I'd be scared to install and use it.

cranioscopical:
Heck, a lot of published authors are dreadful writers -witness the book I'm presently reading.
-Darwin (May 10, 2008, 08:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

i donnot agree we writ what we done reel good an we dont never messup. our new book not here yet comming presently you try read electric handbook it be current.

;)

Darwin:
our new book not here yet comming presently you try read electric handbook it be current
-cranioscopical (May 10, 2008, 11:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looking forward to it!

;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version