topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: synchronise and store desktop files online - exclude "large" files  (Read 5923 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
as usual, i'm expecting that this will already have been done - but maybe not.

something like a "desktop mirror".

i'd like to have my main 'desktop contents' available on the various computers i use. i don't mean remote access and control to a specific machine's desktop; just the files i seem to collect and leave scattered all over it - but not large files.

the idea works like this:

1. dropping/creating 'small' files like .doc, .txt, .jpg, etc., etc. on the desktop is immediately captured by a monitoring tool that uploads these same files to an ftp server.

2. you move on to a different computer that is also running the monitoring tool and it automatically downloads the stored files onto this machine's desktop.

3. any changes that are made such as file edits and complete file removal is also monitored and shared across the other desktops.

4. there would be an option to specify 'large' file exclusion, and i suppose file 'type' exclusion/inclusion.

hopefully someone can recommend a tool that already does this. i can imagine there are ones that will do something similar but will probably be lacking one of the requirements.

any suggestions or is this a util that needs creating?

thanks.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
www.xdrive.com
http://www.powerfolder.com/ (you can share any folder you want)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
If you have Office 2007 there's a great program called Groove that does this for you. You can set up specific folders for it to watch and as long as you have Groove installed on any other computer, it will automatically synchronize them for you.

I can't figure out how to change the "ignore these files types" list. It's either ignore all files Microsoft deems to be dangerous or don't ignore anything at all.

And it won't synchronize folders larger than 2GB

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yeah, thanks kartal.

i found powerfolder not long after making the request - seems okay.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SyncBack SE can do almost everything you want. For free. You'd need two profiles.

If you get to your computer, you'd start profile one: Sync Desktop with FTP - erase files on Desktop which are not on the FTP.

Then you'd start profile two: Sync Desktop with FTP - erase files on FTP which are not on the Desktop - background / run this profile every 1 minute - exclude/include file types as needed.

Only excluding large files will be a problem. I don't think this is possible in SyncBack (at least the free version).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:21 AM by wr975 »

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Robocopy can exclude files based on theirs size (and much more):
/MAX:n -- MAXimum file size - exclude files bigger than n bytes.