topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Questions...Before I get in legal trouble, I'd better ask around  (Read 13159 times)

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi there,

Well, as you may already know I recently announced a multi-boot multi rescue CD: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=12756.0

I'd like to let you know that the CD has been completed and Beta 1 is ready to be released. These are the distros I have included:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=12756.0

System Rescue CD
Trinity Rescue Kit
GParted
Parted Magic
Clonezilla
Ultimate Boot CD for DOS
CDLinux
NT Offline Password Recovery
FreeDOS
memtest86
GAG boot Manager
Darik's Boot & Nuke

You are presented with a multiboot menu that lets you launch these operating systems (one per session of course). My question/fear is this. As far as I am aware all of these are all 100% open source GPLed distros especially the Linux ones. Is there anything that I should be aware off before releasing this to the wild? Any copyright trademarks that belong to companies? There is no source code to include, it's all in configuration files. The closest thing to a source code I can include is the batch file which consists of the following command:

mkisofs -o livecd.iso -r -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -V TechCD -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .

mkisofs.exe will also be included in the ISO. So this means, if you extract the ISO and you run the BuildISO.bat batch file, the ISO will be recreated because the "source" is that as well as the config files inside the dir's file structure in iso_root/gui and iso_root/isolinux.

Newest and best screenshot here: http://www.techopini...net/images/beta1.png

P.S. mouser, this has already been announced, I wasn't sure where to post my topic so I apologize if I ended up in the wrong forum.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know why I even asked this when it's all open source....I am waiting for an approval from sourceforge.net

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Stop teasing us and make this available already! :)

beermatt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a couple of comments.. :)
System Rescue CD
Trinity Rescue Kit
GParted
Parted Magic
Clonezilla
Ultimate Boot CD for DOS
CDLinux
NT Offline Password Recovery
FreeDOS
memtest86
GAG boot Manager
Darik's Boot & Nuke
If you have UBCD4DOS then you already have NT Offline Password Recovery, FreeDOS, memtest86 and Darik's Boot & Nuke (not sure if it's useful to include again separately?)..

My question/fear is this. As far as I am aware all of these are all 100% open source GPLed distros especially the Linux ones. Is there anything that I should be aware off before releasing this to the wild? Any copyright trademarks that belong to companies? There is no source code to include, it's all in configuration files.
If you're going to release this, then as a courtesy it may be wise to post your intentions on the various sites e.g. UBCD Forum, System Rescue CD forum etc.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

As a contrast, there is an example of a gray-area program that works in the security realm but is not so careful about open source and/or approvals.

Hitman Pro
Here is one of the better discussions of where they are now.
http://www.surfing-s...pyware/hitmanpro.php

It sounds like you are doing everything properly.  Possibly you put a notice that this is not to be sold ? (you may already have that) .. anywhere you make this available. 

Shalom,
Steven

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey trhanks for that! I already notified asked the developers of Parted Magic and System Rescue CD and they are fine with it. I notfied Trinity's author and he didn't raise a concern. I don't think Clonzilla or GParted will be a problem but I think I will have to notify them too. UBCD, yes, I will have to let them know.

Beermatt, you are right. The reason I included them on the root menu of the CD is so you can have a more direct access to these great utilities *and* it makes my menu bigger :D Once I find replacements for them in the upcoming betas, I might remove them as you already mentioned they are included with UBCD.

Tekzel :) I am well aware I have been mentioning this for quite some time now. I had to wait for Trinity author's to release a new version of TRK. There was a problem with the boot volume with the older release of TRK and it was unable to boot when you do a multiboot CD. He kindly fixed the problem so a big thanks goes to him.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Talking about UBCD, the only thing different between the original and my version is the look of the menu. I simply modified its template to make it look consistant with the rest of the CD + I added a "Level Up" command so users can go back to the root of the CD in case they select UBCD by accident.

http://techopinion.net/images/ubcd.png demonstrates this.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unrelated to the original question (but related to the collection you plan) ...

Is it possible to ensure that boot time apps like these are chosen that work with USB keyboards - or at least warn the user in the menu which ones have issues?

I have found that some of these products (sorry can't remember which now - but I think UBCD was one) won't boot without a PS2 keyboard connected. I just get a message saying that my BIOS isn't ACPI compliant which is rubbish because as soon as I find an old PS2 keyboard and plug it in there is not problem.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm I will have to research on that one as it is up to the included distro. I will have to see what I can do.

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Unfortunately the developers of Ultimate Boot CD have not responded thus far to my request to include their ISO. I would take this as a no and I will respect it despite the GPL. This means, UBCD will have to be excluded if they don't respond by the time I get a green light from sourceforge.net however I will post extremely easy instructions of how to include UBCD yourself. It will be extremely easy. I will leave the menu entry, I will just comment it out. All the user will have to do is uncomment the entry and copy the required files into the root dir of MRD's file system:

custom
dosapps
images
menus
tools
website

All the user will have to do is extract the UBCD ISO, copy these folders to the root of MultiDistro Rescue Disk's file system and uncomment the commented entry for UBCD and simply run the BuildISO.bat. A new ISO will be generated and that's it.

For now, I am still waiting for sourceforge.net to authorise the project as I have to use their servers to upload the ISO.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:21 AM by SkyIDE »

SkyIDE

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok I got an answer from UBCD!

UBCD will be included! All I have to do now is answer sourceforge.net's questions and we'll see what happens. If sourceforge.net does not authorise my project, I will have to seek a different server to host my ISO or upgrade my hosting package.