ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I think ive worked out a way to turn a virtual machine into a bootable one?

(1/2) > >>

relequestual:
OK, so here it is. Im sure some of you have heard of drive image XML. I was thinking, im using windows virtual machine, and you can have an external shared folder. What if i was to use drive image XML to create an image of the HD, and then use a bootable CD with drive image xml to restore the image to a blank HD i have spare. Would that then have effectivle made a virtual machine into a bootable one?

am i wrong or missing something?

Thing is, i want to use vista in xp (know how and can), but i also dont want to do TOO much with it, and then have 2 do it all again when i eventually make the switch, which will happen sooner or later.

Your opinions/thoughts/comments please?

jgpaiva:
I think you'd have problems with the hardware configuration (because the hardware on the virtual machine isn't the same on the real computer..

relequestual:
oh
i was worried there might be something like that.

why dont the VM people make a way of being able to boot from virtual machines aswell. Im sure EVERYone (by everyone i mean alot of ppl) want it

f0dder:
oh
i was worried there might be something like that.

why dont the VM people make a way of being able to boot from virtual machines aswell. Im sure EVERYone (by everyone i mean alot of ppl) want it
-relequestual (May 08, 2008, 03:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
The enterprise does it, but that has an enterprise pricetag associated with it :)

Doing what you're describing might work, I know people that have transplanted a disk from an AMD machine to an Intel - obviously boot-time RAID wasn't involved, only standard adapters.

relequestual:
the enterprise does it? really?
ive been looking but unable to find anything that even does it.
does it allow you to boot the same machine as your virtualising, or just turn a virtual into a real one?
can you find me the link where it says it can do that? i cant find any information on the website.
I dont mean convert a machine to a virtual one, i mean the reverse, a virtual to normal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version