topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Questions about upgrading my Linux distro  (Read 4998 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Questions about upgrading my Linux distro
« on: May 08, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Hey all,

Background info:
Spoiler
I run Xubuntu on a secondary partition (one drive for all my uses) and it has been acting up lately (I need to boot into the recovery console, then "continue" into the GUI for a boot). I am a total Linux idiot, so repairing it was more trouble than it is worth. Conveniently, Xubuntu presented me with an array of updates, along with an Upgrade.

I installed all the updates first, just like I do for Windows Service Packs, but since I am running a specialized version of Ubuntu, should I update through the Update Panel (not sure of the correct name) or burn a new ISO and do a different (manual) method? I don't have any data I couldn't lose on the partition (install ~10 apps and bring my songs and configuration files back, a 2 hour job) so I am just not sure what to do? Can someone guide me in the right direction?

-Brandon

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Questions about upgrading my Linux distro
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I assume you are running 7.10? and you want to upgrade to 8.04?

8.04 is nice in that it tries to make the upgrade process go smoothly. I don't have experience with the upgrade panel, but I can say the CD upgrade works well. When you put the CD in, it will tell you that a new version of Xubuntu is available to install and would you like to do so (how nice of it...).It will even ask if you want to import your home directories if you install on another disk (nicer still...).
Aside from that, I have heard there are some bugs still alive that are varying grades of serious, so do an update SOON after you install. I haven't noticed any so far, but I'm still in the process of building up my new install.

I upgraded from Xubuntu 7.04 to 7.10 and it went well, but I found that upgrading like that tends to leave a lot of cruft, so this install I chose to simply pull a new installation to start fresh with 8.04. I noted all the programs I was going to need and backed up my home directory to a shared folder on my home network (a CD would do as well, if all the stuff could fit). It took installing twice to get it up, I don't know exactly why.

yotta

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:57 PM »
upgrading xubuntu through the update panel should work fine, but if your system has been acting up then its probably worth doing a full install anyway, to fix the problems.

now seems to be a good time to do that, with 8.04 being an lts release, and should have less bugs than other versions - i certainly havnt had any problems

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Yea, I'm going to 8.04 from 7.10 - I started the update but then got kinda weary, so I am glad for the input. I think I'll bite the bullet and download an ISO of 8.04 and do it through the disk. That way if I have a HD crash I don't have to install and then upgrade and all that.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:20 PM »
This year will see an effort to provide easier distro/kernel upgrades. Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mandriva are on board. Nice tip on the home folder, Edvard.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Just to let everyone know, I went ahead and did an ISO image and installed over the previous, and so far its running great. Much nicer interface over 7.10 as well.

Time to update! :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Time to update! :)
-wreckedcarzz (May 08, 2008, 08:42 PM)
Glad to see you on board, Wreckedcarzz.  :Thmbsup:
My 8.04 is humming along pretty sweetly at the moment, lots of updates in the past week (let's hope that means bugs fixed...). Still haven't installed everything I need, and I'm skeptical of PulseAudio. I hear it doesn't play well with some apps that are used to OSS or Jack. As long as it doesn't mess with Ardour, I'm fine.
We'll soon see...