topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Winamp 5.53 Release  (Read 21131 times)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Winamp 5.53 Release
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I was pretty excited to download the Winamp's new version.It looks more like Windows media player..And hell it is...they even made their web page title about "Windows Media player".... Funny but glossy and attractive looks are in winamps new themeing engine with release of skin"botha"....
Other features like tool-tip when songchanges and new visualier and media library stuff sounds cool..but i want my old-winamp back...so switching back to old skin.... :D

So i ask you to download and give your opinion about it.What makes u like new or hate new version of winamp...

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: Winamp 5.53 Release
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:03 PM »
2.95 was the last good version of winamp in my book.
Still available via oldversion.com thank goodness.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:07 PM »
May I ask why? If you say because of AOL I will lose respect for your opinion in this matter.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I also stuck with 2.95 (or something close). The later versions got too bloated for my taste, and I finally realized that I really need a player for, well, playing music, not having a pretty skin or fancy visulizations. Ended up with foobar2000, which isn't perfect by any means, but it has good sound quality and supports cue-sheets decently.
- carpe noctem

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:51 PM »
i'm stuck at WinAmp 2.9x too but for no particular reason other than that now most of the time i'm using a stand-alone mp3 player. i'll use winamp in conjunction with seedling's Random Mix Tape Maker when  previewing songs for transferring.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:02 PM »
May I ask why? If you say because of AOL I will lose respect for your opinion in this matter.
Not at all, just because any higher versions started hogging resources and including in my opinion unnecessary features for an mp3 player application such as video playing etc...
Anything higher than 2.9x didn't barely run on my p133MHz. Even on modern computers I prefer 2.9x just because I don't like wasting resources. It may seem insignificant with modern hardware, but I think it matters.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:10 AM »
Winamp, at some point - not sure exactly when - started getting a little pushy for my taste.  Once it grabbed all the file associations when I had specifically configured it to not do so.  That was it. Gone.

Now I use MediaMonkey 3.x  Excellent player and cataloger at the same time.  So until that gets too "pushy", I'll use it.   :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 07:22 AM »

Agree with what gothic says. I dnt want to take sides or give biased opinion but New version eats lot of resource. If you observe the new skin and theme then you'll come to know about it,Josh.
Besides if you want i can post screenshot for you,where i got winamp hogging memory while i was typing with MS-Word. :D
Somebody mentioned here 2.9 yup..thats right its less resource eater..and many PCMECH users recommende that version to me....But anyway i switched to Old Skin...So no to use those Fancy effects.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Not at all, just because any higher versions started hogging resources and including in my opinion unnecessary features for an mp3 player application such as video playing etc...

But you can unselect them during the installation phase.

Anything higher than 2.9x didn't barely run on my p133MHz. Even on modern computers I prefer 2.9x just because I don't like wasting resources. It may seem insignificant with modern hardware, but I think it matters.

I think that a minimal install might be able to run in such an old horse, at least I didn't see a noticeable surge in resource consumption when I upgraded from 2.x to 5.x on my old PIII. It may be a different story with newer versions, though.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26 AM »
I think that a minimal install might be able to run in such an old horse, at least I didn't see a noticeable surge in resource consumption when I upgraded from 2.x to 5.x on my old PIII. It may be a different story with newer versions, though.
I tried it, and >2.9 would run very noticeably slower on a pentium 133.
Dont forget that a pentium III is still waaaaaaaaay newer than a pentium I at 133MHz so you probably wouldn't notice it :)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I also love apps that do just one thing without hogging memory.
I used MM3 and think it's probably the most feature-complete player, but then I realized that I was allocating ~250MB of memory to play music... not nice.

Now I use a super-simple winamp 5.53 with nothing but the basics. It uses ~40Mb when minimized on tray.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Winamp 5 has always been fast and light for me. You can customize every installation and only install the components you require thus cutting down on memory usage. Very highly recommended. I even went pro even thou I wont use any of the burning features from it!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 06:21 PM »
There is also TrayPlayer http://www.atmaxsoft.com/trayplayer.html. Doesn't use too much resources and is more than adequate for playing music. It's GUI is minimalistic, but very well ordered and accessible by shortcut keys.

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Personally I have 5.5 and use it for most media. I just want something which can browse my library and play songs in any format.
What I miss is a really light player for one song at a time if I just want to see what a sound file is. Sort of having a picture viewer instead of opening Picasa every time.
But Winamp suits me alright. Early versions were no good at browsing/searching the library.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43 AM »
Winamp does what it did best in 2.x and a lot more better especially with the media library of version 5. Just turn of the bentoo skin and revert back to classic which is underlying all the other skins anyway.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 10:48 AM »
There is also TrayPlayer http://www.atmaxsoft.com/trayplayer.html. Doesn't use too much resources and is more than adequate for playing music. It's GUI is minimalistic, but very well ordered and accessible by shortcut keys.

doesn't work for me. The songs seem to play, but I hear nothing.

Can winamp be put in tray?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 10:50 AM »
winamp2008-05-09_165033.png

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 10:55 AM »
justice. Not just the icon, all the buttons (play, pause, stop, open etc.) in the tray like

http://www.atmaxsoft.com/images/tp_main.gif
Winamp 5.53 Release

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 11:22 AM »
Can winamp be put in tray?

Try the Advanced Controls plugin, it has the usual play controls (including a progress slider) & you can also use it to delete the file currently playing right off the HDD. Luckily they have a Foobar2000 [[[  :-* ]]] version too, since I dumped Winamp long back.

version5snap-t.gif

[Edit: Added screenshot, other mandatory OCD stuff]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:32 AM by nosh »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 12:27 PM »
I used MM3 and think it's probably the most feature-complete player, but then I realized that I was allocating ~250MB of memory to play music... not nice.

Now I use a super-simple winamp 5.53 with nothing but the basics. It uses ~40Mb when minimized on tray.

o_O, what kind of music library do you have?

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 12:32 PM »
Thank You very much nosh. Functional and unobtrusive, I like it. We can access winamp options from it as well. I've removed winamp's icon from taskbar and tray.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 01:14 PM »

o_O, what kind of music library do you have?

Just 40.000 songs. With musicIP tags, which may make it bigger. I'm reporting physical + virtual memory here. Some players release memory when in the tray (foobar, winamp), others not (MusicIP, MM).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Just 40.000 songs. With musicIP tags, which may make it bigger. I'm reporting physical + virtual memory here. Some players release memory when in the tray (foobar, winamp), others not (MusicIP, MM).

Wow - that would be why I am not seeing that kind of memory hit with MM3!  I only have about 3,000 songs in it!

Jim

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 05:53 AM »
Hey i forgot to ask.. :o Windows Media Player have the feature of Auto-Crossfading song when one song ends it fades to another and we can set the seconds for it...is there any settings in Winamp? Also is there any plugin that does this job...i'm not asking for DJ-Deck thing...but like windows media player like feature...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 06:27 AM »
mahesh2k: check the "equalizer" on winamp, there should be an option there for cross-fade ;)