topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Enhanced supporters yearbook  (Read 4034 times)

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Enhanced supporters yearbook
« on: October 26, 2005, 07:33 AM »
The supporters yearbook may not get much use, but I do check it occasionally to see if anyone has updated an avatar or quotation.  And I have a couple of suggestions for improvements that might make it more fun for everyone:

1.  Provide the option to alphabetize the list, in case someone just wants to see what a particular person's avatar is, or what someone has put as a quotation.  I'm not suggesting you change the chronological  order you have (because there is a certain status gained by being among the first to join :D).  Just providing the option to alphabetize, so it will be easier to find a particular person.

2.  I know some people have their name linked to personal websites.  What about having the avatar link to the profile on the site.  Granted, most people have left everything blank there, but that might not always be the case. 

3.  To expand on suggestion #2, what about linking to a list of all the comments that person has made.  Many times I remember that a particular person mentioned something I want to read again.  I know you can get to this through the search function, but that requires remembering exactly how to spell the name, etc.  Having this ability in the yearbook would give a reader total browsing ability from that page:  easily find a particular name, quick look at avatar and personal quotation, link to personal website,  go to profile information, and see a linked list of forum posts.

4.  Can you include a yearbook button on the home page?  As it is, you have to go to the forum page to find a link to it.

Any other suggestions?

When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: Enhanced supporters yearbook
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 08:20 AM »
i like the idea of having a link to the supporter yearbook on the homepage.

and i think having a link from yearbook avatar to the person's (public) profile page sounds like a good idea too.  how exactly should we do the link? right now clicking on name or avatar brings you to person's webpage if they have one.  should we have these go to profile instead of webpage, or have one go to one and another go to the other? or add an additional little icon on yearbook when they have a website or something?

i will look into different optional viewing modes for it, including alphabetical and paged (i.e. split them into pages); i'm not sure yet how hard that will be to do.

there is a feature that lets you view from profile to view all posts by that person - but i'm not sure it's enabled for you guys/gals - is it?

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Enhanced supporters yearbook
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53 AM »
I see that you already can get to a person's post from the profile.  One problem solved :-[.

I like the way you have it now, with link on name if there is a website.  Just suggest that clicking on the avatar itself could link to the profile.  As it stands now, you can get to someone's profile by clicking on the little icon when you are reading one of their posts.  Short of this, though, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to someone's profile so you can search through their posts, or get to their website, unless you remember exactly how to spell the name and enter it in the search function.  It would really be great to be able to just go to the yearbook and find the links there.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird