topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Your fav' audio CD burner?  (Read 50739 times)

Babis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Your fav' audio CD burner?
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 04:17 AM »
... nothing compares to Easy CD-DA Extractor, ...

(see attachment in previous post)
http://www.poikosoft.com/index.html

It sounds really good, this finnish Audio CD Ripper, Audio Converter, and CD/DVD Creator
- but somehow I get the feeling it is a bit ... I don't know ... "nerdish"??
How easy is it to use?  :tellme:

Forgive me for using the same words about the German cdr front-end.
It doesn't say anything about saving meta data and cover art??

Hello Curt, I am not so sure what you mean by nerdish but for me the interface is clean and usable.
As a program it is extremely easy to use, there are 3 tabs:

Audio CD Ripper -  Audio Converter - CD/DVD creator.

I use only the last two. The audio converter supports all the audio formats that I know and has options for normalization, volume adjust, metadata and additional metadata. The CD/DVD Creator tab has 4 tabs:

Audio CD - MP3 CD/DVD - Data CD/DVD - DVD Video.

From these tabs I use only the 1st, as for the 3 others I prefer imgburn.
The Audio CD tab supports drag n drop of all formats and on the fly conversion of any format to wav before burning and some minor features like CD-Text, Gap Length etc.

In general for burning and converting audio files from one format to another it is excellent; as for Ampa's reply, imgburn does not convert audio files (so you have to have a different converter) and cannot change CD text, metadata, set gaps and some others.

Finally as a Audio CD Ripper, I think EAC does better job (more complicated though)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22 AM »
I'm with Ampa, ImgBurn could be your best option here, now that it burns Audio CDs and supports exotic formats and everything, though it seems to only be able to burn those from CUE files, not a big deal. You also need DirectShow filters to decode the format in which the files you wish to burn are encoded, if you have installed one of those codec packs, there should not be any problem.

Burrrn is another option, and comes with lanux's endorsement :)

Personally, I always used Nero to burn Audio CDs, but it's been a couple of years since I burned my last one, and my Hi-Fi system doesn't read CD-Text, which seems to be related to your problem. Perhaps the files you burned lacked tagging, or you forgot to check up this screen:

Screenshot - 08_05_2008 , 17_35_36.png

or fill the highlighted fields in this one:

Screenshot - 08_05_2008 , 17_40_23.png
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:45 AM by Lashiec »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 10:54 AM »
Windows Media Player will burn audio cds.

This is what my son uses and he uses it a lot and works with the college radio station as well.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 10:59 AM »
Well, shoot, he just told me he switched to DeepBurner a while ago.
Can't keep up with the kid.

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 12:09 PM »
Winamp will also burn CDs, but I primarily use it as a player and haven't really tested that aspect of it.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Gothic,

Originally Nero Burning ROM and Roxio Easy CD Creator were exclusively for CD burning.  While they could burn data CD's, they were designed around burning ripped audio CD's and downloaded music.

Of course that was before DVD's were around -- or at least popular.

Jim

bassclarinetl2

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • MIS -- Management on Steroids
    • View Profile
    • WillSoft
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 05:33 PM »

So my question to 'you' is:
What do you use to burn audio CDs that will show all proper info?  (see attachment in previous post) (see attachment in previous post)
- name your fav's, forum!  :tellme:

Winamp.  I use it to play my media so naturally I burn Cds from it too.  Also Nero 8.  I havent had any problems with burning the CD-Text to it.
-No one instrument is more important than the other.  All are needed for the band to play.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 12:39 AM »
short answer is that there are as many choices as there are posters - they should all do audio CD's anyway's, ie given the plethora of highly capable freeware apps that do this there doesn't appear to be any compelling reason to purchase an app to do this...

can you clarify you're metadata requirements please?  i was of the understanding that audio CD's don't carry any metadata (ala MP3, OGG, WMA, etc).  They can include CD TEXT, which is what you see on the display of your CD player. 

Likewise, file naming convention on all audio CD's that I've seen are in the format TRACK1.CDA, TRACK2.CDA, etc (this is done by the software when you write the CD) 

Target

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 03:28 AM »
Thanks for explaining, Target.

Can it be that some (cheap) Compact Discs don't support CD-TEXT ??
- they were tagged as being "for audio", but "music" was not mentioned...

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2008, 01:42 PM »
More info about CD Text here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text
as well as a nice list of capable burning software.

Sounds like what you need to do is enter the CD-Text info yourself before making the disk.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:45 PM by Edvard »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Can it be that some (cheap) Compact Discs don't support CD-TEXT ??
- they were tagged as being "for audio", but "music" was not mentioned...

while not all discs are not created equal, they should all 'take' CD Text

Note also that not all players are CD Text capable

and FWIW, an old favourite of mine is BurnAtOnce - it's fairly old and development has stopped, but it works a treat (hint - check the context menus for extra functionality)

Target

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29 AM »
Anyone posting on these forums is in my book an expert user and knowledgeable enough to figure out most any program. So its ok to recommend a bunch of small efficient programs. But what the normal user?

What do I get for my girlfriend or parents? They want to do all the usual stuff - burn discs, rip movies and music, make photo dvd's and albums etc. Roxio/Nero suites are designed for people like them. But should I tell them to install these bloated monstrosities on their pc (which is not as fast or recent as mine anyway)?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 02:04 AM »
They want to do all the usual stuff - burn discs, rip movies and music, make photo dvd's and albums etc.

all these tasks are achievable, but it follows that they must develop some expertise just like the rest of us (otherwise they will just be getting you to do it for them :'()

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 03:48 AM »
What do I get for my girlfriend or parents? They want to do all the usual stuff - burn discs, rip movies and music, make photo dvd's and albums etc. Roxio/Nero suites are designed for people like them. But should I tell them to install these bloated monstrosities on their pc (which is not as fast or recent as mine anyway)?

I would have said Ashampoo in terms of ease of use but also I'm not sure can it do all you want
and this from Carol -

I know this isn't audio related but I have started using Nero 7 again having had a lot of problems with coasters from Dual Layer DVDs. Nero seems to burn them consistently whereas I have had a few issues with ImgBurn and AShampoo Burning Suite.

Having said that I was very selective on how I reinstalled Nero - just the BurningROM and a few associated tools - none of the video stuff.
-Carol Haynes (May 06, 2008, 07:00 PM)

there's surely other canditates?
CDBurnerXP ?  I dont use it cause I could never get multisession to work properly but if I remember correctly the new version is easy to use (& free, but again I'm not sure how much it does..)
http://cdburnerxp.se/
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 03:59 AM »
I have never before heard about Infra Recorder http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/
- I will have to check this one out as well!

then it's time to check out my mini-review here:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8140.0

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2008, 08:26 AM »
@ Babis - thanks for telling about pros and cons.

...as a Audio CD Ripper, I think EAC does better job (more complicated though)

I was trying out this EAC, but it never detected my CD disc. The drive but not the disc. Seems many would-be-users are having trouble with ASPI and IMAPI ?? I tried various fixes from the forum, but to no avail. I might though have a look at it again, if ever it passes the beta level.

--

@ linux128 - thanks for the link to your fine mini review.  :up:

However, I will not have cygwin on this unstable PC of mine; too many probs in the past!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:29 AM by Curt »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Personally, I would not use Exact Audio Copy for audio burning, it's been said that its burner it's probably the most accurate when it comes to replicate an audio CD from ripped tracks (save Feurio), but we are talking about burning loose songs from YouTube videos :D. That's its main selling point as an audio burner, but unfortunately compatibility offsets this advantage.

What Exact Audio Copy does best (save dbPowerAmp, and maybe PerfectRip) it's ripping audio CDs, for the rest, try the other suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:43 AM by Lashiec »

simakuutio

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 12:58 PM »
I'm actually bit late with this one but better late than never....

I have one burner I have been using (as proud registered user of course) and which one I can recommend without
any doubt. It's MagicISO (http://www.magiciso.com) and it's very powerful modern burner. Because nowadays I'll keep burning less and less, I'm using MagicISO to browse those images... for that, it's _brilliant_.

Music_Guy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • Man I love music
    • View Profile
    • Download Music
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I had trouble with a few CD burning softwares that tried burning music but always ended up having a few songs skipping when the CD wasn't scratched, or song songs didn't even play. Since I switched to 'Roxio', I'm a happy man, and I get to listen to all the music on a CD every time with no type of skipping that makes you want to throw your player out a window.
Compare Music Download Sites - Compare the top music download sites and find the right legal site to [url http://www.comparemusicdownloadsites.com]download music[/url] according to your downloading habits.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I had trouble with a few CD burning softwares that tried burning music but always ended up having a few songs skipping when the CD wasn't scratched, or song songs didn't even play. Since I switched to 'Roxio', I'm a happy man, and I get to listen to all the music on a CD every time with no type of skipping that makes you want to throw your player out a window.

Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 was the last version I purchased. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that it had caught the "Nero Bloat and Invasive Components" disease. I didn't like the "Drag to Disk" feature, but even though I disabled it a number of times it always found a way to suddenly appear on my desktop again unexpectedly.

Roxio had just added too many modules, a la Nero Ultra, IMO. Rather than stick with their main expertise, their base programs, they decided that all of their users needed to have an all-encompassing suite, including photo organization and editing. I don’t want Roxio or Nero to do that - I already have much better tools. But like Nero, Roxio tries to grab the file association for every type of media file on your box.

I had Roxio EMC8 and Nero Ultra 7 and ended up removing both and going back to basics, with several smaller, specialized applications.

Thanks!

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 04:53 PM »
To be fair Roxio did it before Nero - that is why I swapped to Nero 5 originally.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57 AM »
To be fair Roxio did it before Nero - that is why I swapped to Nero 5 originally.

That's probably true, Carol. But I already had Nero Ultra 6 when I purchased Roxio EMC8, so I saw the bloat appear first in Nero. I had been using Sonic's applications - MyDVD Deluxe Suite and DVDIt - but after Roxio purchased Sonic (or actually was purchased BY Sonic, I think) I had to go with Roxio in order to upgrade my Sonic utilities. Thus I saw the bloat in Nero first, then got to experience it in Roxio EMC later, after I purchased V.8.

Thanks!

Jim

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 03:01 AM »
I'm a huge fan of ImgBurn and was happy to see it can do audio CDs too... unfortunately, I really don't see myself burning music to CDs anymore, much less as an audio CD (opposed to an MP3 CD).

BTW, ImgBurn is portable (woop!).

Also, J River Media Center (god I hate that name) and it's free counterpart, Media Jukebox, (much better name) has really grown on me lately, and since it burns CDs I have a feeling that if I were to ever burn a music CD (as audio or as files) I'd probably just use Media Center. Media Center (not Jukebox) has a "portable install" option, but it hasn't worked for me after multiple tries  :down:.

I think Media Jukebox is the perfect "give to mom" program for audio, in fact I just gave it to my mom over thanksgiving weekend...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:26 AM by Hirudin »

Cosiness

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24 AM »
Audio CD Burner Studio its fast and easy to use

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 01:33 PM »
If you try Burrrn I recommend Burrrn Portable esp. if on a post-XP OS.  The one with the installer works on Vista, but you get double entries in the log for some reason.  The portable doesn't seem to have that bug.

Automatically converts FLAC.  Just drop them on.

edit: btw have you confirmed with other discs that the boom box supports text info?  I have a stereo system still kicking that only does audio CDs.  It gives the track number and the play time.  That's it.  It came out before all this mp3 stuff was invented.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:37 PM by MilesAhead »