topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recentx at Giveawayoftheday  (Read 18988 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Recentx at Giveawayoftheday
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:37 AM »
"Giveaway of the Day - RecentX

RecentX is a 1-click super-fast way of accessing your widespread documents, deep folders, cluttered programs & large Internet browsing history/bookmarks (favorites). RecentX saves enormous time, removes frustration and stress caused due to trivial & repeated computer activity for which we have not done anything yet."
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

This program was on donationcoder's recent discount list.
Also discussed in this thread https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9410.0

So what are you waiting for !

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recentx at Giveawayoftheday
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 01:13 PM »
FYI: I purchased a copy months ago and am very happy with my purchase.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I remember giving it a test drive but I found that Filebox Extender is more useful for me. (not to mention being free).

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Hi Folks,

Well I keep things pretty organized, and bookmarks are smartly handled with Powermarks, but there could be some navigation/remembrance/launching help here.  Looks like a good company with decent products (not always the case with GAOTD software  :) ).

A lot of folks like it, but 3-4 folks on different forums report it as a potential resource hog.

Considering this is a limited function utility, that is a concern, although Process Tamer will help.
Anybody checking CPU ?

Shalom,
Steven

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I am not sure it is fair to compare it to Filebox eXtender; RecentX can do so much more! - I use them both. But yes, it used to eat a lot of resources, but that problem has been solved. I recommend RecentX without reservation,... *(section removed due to lack of (human) memory)*... The program doesn't need support anymore, over the years it has been kind of perfected... pardon my French.

Go for it!  :up:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 05:06 PM by Curt »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26 PM »
sounds excellent.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 06:50 PM »
With FARR always on and Opera's latest builds that offer excellent bookmark/history search i don't feel the need for RecentX much anymore.

In fact, i bought it a while ago and did find that it used more resources than i felt it should.

Don't use it nor need it anymore.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 08:32 PM »
i've always been curious about RecentX but not curious enough to give it a try. perhaps one of the happy users of the program could write a nice mini-review. :)

kreatorr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 03:28 AM »
I just briefly tried it out, but was wondering what significant benefits it has over FARR if you set FARR to automatically bring up the recent files/folders ".lnk"s that are in your C:\Documents and Settings\User\Recent folder. 

Incidentally, I think one of the default Search Folders in FARR isn't working, %MYRECENTDOCS%.  Anyone see this problem as well?

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:01 AM »
To me the allure was the interface in which it is presented. With farr you need to know what you are looking for, but if you just remember you recently worked on something but not what folder / file it was then recentx should do the job. So does the recent windows folder but that also isn't organised optimally for me. Depending on your level of organisation and memory then you might only need FARR :)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:25 AM »
Incidentally, I think one of the default Search Folders in FARR isn't working, %MYRECENTDOCS%.  Anyone see this problem as well?

Working fine here.

BTW, RecentX is a fine program even if it does occasionally spurt up on resources.
But it's nothing that serious.

From a practical point of view, i find myself more often wondering where i visited a certain webpage than on my last viewed documents. If you do percentage check of webpages visited over documents you last worked on, i'm sure you'll find which one you check up most quite easily. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:27 AM by dantheman »

kreatorr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:58 AM »
dantheman, thanks for the feedback regarding the %MYRECENTDOCS% variable.  Maybe the reason I'm hitting this might be due to the fact that I haven't installed FARR.  Have been running out of a unzipped folder as I normally try to run these smaller apps without installation in an Limited User Accounts if possible.  Will try it again in the future when I have FARR properly installed.  For now, I just added the User\Recent folder in manually.

Regarding getting FARR to just show recently used docs, as opposed to everything it normally finds, I added "recent *" into the keyword entry for the Search Folders entry.  This way, if I know I'm just looking for a recently accessed file/folder, I can just type in "+recent" (followed by any additional search terms) into the FARR search box, and it will show just those entries.  Not that it is as elegant looking as RecentX, but I think it would be a reasonable approximation of its features.

Anyway, I'm just looking around for more ways to be efficient so it's good to learn about new programs.

TomColvin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • BECOMING A WRITER SERIOUSLY
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 11:31 AM »
I'm evaluating RecentX.  I like the looks of it, and it does seem to organize things rather well.  BUT my computer has definitely slowed down since I installed it.  And last night it refused to close at Shutdown, causcing me some unwanted 1 a.m. anxiety.  Will continue the evaluation tho.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 11:46 AM »
It doesn't keep track of Opera's history.
Only IE and Firefox.

;)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 11:57 PM »
Recentx is nice for tracking recent documents. However, it is missing one crucial feature which is selecting files-folders from the list and dragging-dropping into custom favorites folders. Live search based favorites is ok but to me it is useless because it is limiting. I can already track recent files with free Nirsoft recent files view. http://www.nirsoft.n...cent_files_view.html

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 12:12 AM by kartal »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00 AM »
Btw a Recentx Farr plugin would be awesome addition to recentx and farr

electronixtar

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 07:46 AM »
More browsers!

More i18n characters support ! ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RecentX at GAOTD - November 07, 2008
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:06 AM »
RecentX is available again on Giveaway of the Day.

sc_2008-11-07_001.png

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 12:41 AM »

Oh, there have been so much discussions on RecentX here. We weren't aware of it.

We are the developers of RecentX. And thank you everybody for your great feedback. We are currently developing a new version of RecentX. Many of your suggestions will be taken care. RecentX used to take a lot of CPU/memory. But that has been reduced drastically now. But still this can be improved and we will do so in the next version.

Thanks.